Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #21 
SillyCone

Okie dokie!

The "all purpose stuff" is this one here:

http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/myxazin.htm

Is for all "Bacteria problems purposes" xD!

I had a fear my betta was with fin rot and a gooey stuff that the other medicine said it was also bacteria, hahaha.

Costs 5.25 here, so maybe around $7 over there.
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #22 
Pollylop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having so much trouble with your first Bettas...they really are easy to care for once you have the right information and setups....you have been given some good advice already so I won't go into much more other than your thoughts of getting two different tanks for them is a great idea...it will make things much easier on both you and your Bettas.....

Get some Epsom salt and start the fella with the buoyancy problem on that treatment and he should be good as new in no time...
You can usually find Epsom salt at most stores that have a pharmacy dept..its cheap and a good product to have on hand along with aquarium salt, clean bucket, dechlorinator, thermometer to use in the tank and to use for water changes...its important to try and keep the new dechlorinated water for water changes within a couple of degrees between new and old water to prevent water temp issue....keep us posted and ask all the question you need we are all here to help.......
Thanks ya'll. I've got Epsom salt...My momma always swore by it. Said it was good for everything from a sore back to scrubbin' the sink...guess she was right! I always have some on hand. I'm gonna go get my daughter right now, but I'll fix the salt when I get back. And tomorrow, to the pet store...not the same one where we got the fish...I might slap that woman in the head if I do that..lol. Thank ya'll again, I appreciate all the help. Ya'll are awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmybettas View Post
Oh wow! They are beautiful!! Just treat Rainbow! You said you separated them right. And make sure to use Epsom salt which you can find in the pharmacy section of most stores like Walmart.
Thanks sweetie! I appreciate all your help!! :)
Pollylop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #23 
Pollylop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyCone View Post
Okie dokie!

The "all purpose stuff" is this one here:

http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/myxazin.htm

Is for all "Bacteria problems purposes" xD!

I had a fear my betta was with fin rot and a gooey stuff that the other medicine said it was also bacteria, hahaha.

Costs 5.25 here, so maybe around $7 over there.
It's now on my list! Thanks!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #24 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollylop View Post
Thanks!! I can't believe how calming they can be. Wouldn't have ever figured it. But they are. We're gettin' the tanks tomorrow along with all the accessories (heater, filter, cute little decorations...lol) I'm hooked now. Told the hubs I wanted this and he said, "I knew you couldn't NOT love them"...hehe. Thanks again everyone!
That is how MTS sets in (Multiple Tank Syndrome). My husband and I have a bad, uncurable case of it! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollylop View Post
Thanks sweetie! I appreciate all your help!! :)
And you are very welcome! Keep us updated...
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #25 
Oldfishlady

If you take proper care of the Bettas you will not need antibiotic and unless you know what you are treating-they can do more harm than good...less chemical additives the better for not only- you, the Bettas and the environment.......over use of medication, wrong dosages and duration can also create resistance....be very careful with use....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #26 
TheKingsFish

Flakes have a tendency to make bettas bloat: that's why pellets or frozen foods are typically better. They're more like the diet that bettas in the wild would live on. A good rule of thumb that I've heard from others on this forum is that a tank should be at least one gallon per inch of fish.

As for the shop you bought them from, their ignorance is sadly common. I recommend you find a betta owner's handbook and start reading--you can even make it an educational bed time story for your daughter :P
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #27 
Pollylop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmybettas View Post
That is how MTS sets in (Multiple Tank Syndrome). My husband and I have a bad, uncurable case of it! :) And you are very welcome! Keep us updated...
I think I may just have the start of that...lol. I will keep you updated. I took more pictures of Rainbow and Betta just a few minutes ago. We are havin' supper with my dad, so I have to go right now, but I'll upload them when I get home later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
If you take proper care of the Bettas you will not need antibiotic and unless you know what you are treating-they can do more harm than good...less chemical additives the better for not only- you, the Bettas and the environment.......over use of medication, wrong dosages and duration can also create resistance....be very careful with use....
Very good advice. Thank you for pointing that out. I do have a question and it may sound stupid, but can you take fish to the vet? I take our dog regularly and just wondered if I should add them to the list. It does sound stupid when it's typed out, but I don't know anything about fish as I said...lol. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingsFish View Post
Flakes have a tendency to make bettas bloat: that's why pellets or frozen foods are typically better. They're more like the diet that bettas in the wild would live on. A good rule of thumb that I've heard from others on this forum is that a tank should be at least one gallon per inch of fish.

As for the shop you bought them from, their ignorance is sadly common. I recommend you find a betta owner's handbook and start reading--you can even make it an educational bed time story for your daughter :P
Thank you. And that is an AWESOME idea! My daughter is just 4 but she LOVES to read! I think I'll grab a book tomorrow too. I'm excited now! Anything that encourages her to read is a thumbs up with me. Thank you for the suggestion and the advice. I appreciate it so much!

Thank all of you again. I'm not sure how this site works completely, but if it has a friend button, I'd love to add ya'll as friends. Thanks again!! I'm Melissa, btw. Pleasure to meet ya'll.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #28 
Oldfishlady

There are no stupid questions......

To answer, yes, you can take your fish to the vet, however, not many vets that work with fish and usually the ones that do limit to Koi and saltwater and it can be expensive to take a fish to the vet....often it is water quality related and easy fix with water changes and natural treatment.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #29 
SillyCone

Well, idk about you but we have a super cool guy here that knows all about fish in my local fish store, I bet if I take any of my fish or snails to him he would point out what was wrong and how to take care of it.

And I know you should avoid all chemicals but idk, this one says is harmless and is good when introducing new fish, lol! Well it didn't kill my fish, quite the opposite, it made him 100% better, of course I won't add it anymore to the next water changes, but it's always good to have some med in your home. :P
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #30 
Luimeril

hey there! welcome to the forum, and to the world of these wonderful fish. i'm sorry that your first experience is going so badly. D:

alot of times, certain foods can make them bloat up and float like corks. i have one betta who has to skip food every other day because of it. if the pellets are too small, he gobbles more air than food, and is all balloony the next day. i skipped page 2, so i don't know, but have you tried not feeding the little guy yet? just for a day or two. flakes often cause bettas to bloat up, which is why pelleted foods are recommended. x-X

i hope the little guy feels better. :3 with bigger tanks, and proper equipment, you and your family will enjoy these little guys alot. :3 they're alot more fun, and catch the attention of small children, better when they're feeling good and in good tanks. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote