Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #1 
flowerslegacy

Newbie w/a new 25 gal set up

First let me thank all of you for your wonderful input. I have logged on to your site a million times and now I have a beautiful aquarium and it was all done the right way. Thank you! The water parameters are perfect. I now have a new sorority of 4 girls (Fancy, Nancy, Bubbles and Lucy). Within 2 days their pecking order has already been established. I have lots of hiding places, plants, 2 betta logs and even leaf hammocks (which won't stay in place to save my life!) Here's my question for you guys. I DO NOT want to overstock this tank. However, I'm willing to do all the water changes necessary. I had a goldfish (Flower) for 2 years who died of nitrate poisoning in a 10 gal and I *never* want to experience such horror again. My whole family cried over her loss, but mostly me because my inexperience is what killed her. So should I leave the tank as is? Or would it be okay to get a few cherry barbs (or tetras) and a couple cherry shrimp? I'd love the variety and color because I've only had a lone goldie, but the girls mean too much to give them a stressful or dirty environment. I hated watching them chase each other and I'm so glad they appear peaceful now. I don't want to add tank mates and have them stress again. I'm already trying to figure out how to get them to stop flaring and chasing their reflections in the aquarium background pic! Also, I'm still researching how often to do water changes with my particular set up but they'll be done religiously! So any help from you wonderful folks would be appreciated. Your site is awesome!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #2 
MoePaac

Welcome to the board! Glad to hear it's been a huge help for you. I know we'd all be interested in seeing pictures if you wanted to post some. Sounds like a great tank.

I don't have experience with sororities, but saw no one responded so wanted to throw in a quick word.

I know you didn't suggest this in your post, but goldfish are not good tank mates for bettas. They require a very large amount of space per fish, and also much cooler water than what bettas prefer. However, I, like you, have a soft spot for them. Not sure why... but eventually I would love a tank for some oranda's or possibly pearlscale. But then part of me wonders if I really want to bring a goldfish indoors when they are doing so well in my outdoor pond?

I'm rambling... I would say yes, you can add a school of another fish. I'm not very familiar with all species of tetras, but I think cherry barbs may be a little aggressive (or is it tiger barbs?). I would choose a peaceful fish to add to the group. Also, tetras are a toss up on whether they will be nippy or not. Some users swear that tetras are safe, others will say the exact opposite. Regardless it is important to have a proper school so aggression is spread out. Some options may be harlequin rasboras, platies, corydoras (which i personally love), shrimp (more the merrier, but they may become snacks). There are more options, but these are the ones that come to the top of my head.

The important thing is not to add too many fish at once. Not sure how established your tank is, but let it settle and adjust to the 4 new girls, then after a few weeks look into adding other fish.

Hopefully some users with more sorority experience will post soon. But hope this gets you started!
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #3 
MoePaac

Also, here is a good website to play around with in regards to stocking levels:

http://aqadvisor.com/
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #4 
flowerslegacy

Thanks MoePaac! I appreciate the input. I had the water parameters checked today and they're all still perfect - yea!! The girls are so peaceful now that I may just try a few cherry shrimp and leave it at that. However, if anyone has any other thoughts, I'd love to hear it. I've searched all over the forum regarding larger tanks sizes and overstocking, but just couldn't find anything close enough to my concerns. However, I'm new and I may just not know how to search properly. Sorry if my questions are grossly repetitious. I'll post photos soon!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote