Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #1 
pepperr

Age of Petco fish?

On Petco's Betta fish containers there is a date on the price sticker. Does anyone know what the date is for? I assumed that it was the date that the fish arrived, however one very small fish had a date on its container from July of 2010?
And does anyone know approximately how old Petco's fish usually are?
pepperr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

They can range from very young (sadly, sometimes just as fry, which usually die..) at about 2-4months to up to a year/year and a half, depending on who theyre getting them from.

It might just be the date from a container, probably not its actual age.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #3 
dew

I heard that all petcos bettas are the ones the breeders don't want. But thats just what I heard. All my fish from peto died within a week, thats why I get my bettas from a local pet store. Sorry for getting of topic. lol
dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #4 
SilverMagic

I'm so sorry to hear that. I've been thinking I shouldn't buy bettas from Petco in the future because they're probably cruel to bettas. Their care regimen, feed 3 times a week and change the water 3 times a week. They're in a tiny cup for Christ's sake, the water should be changed daily. However I just got my new betta from Petco. He is the feistiest of them all so I figured feisty equals healthy. He's still doing well. Just got him last Sunday.
SilverMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #5 
Sakura8

I got my betta from Petco and he's very social and curious and, except for some fin rot developed after I got him, quite healthy. I think you can easily get bettas from big-box pet stores like Petco if you do a few things like

A) Observe them carefully. Pick up the betta you want and if it's a male, move him next to a new male he hasn't seen before. See if he flares up. If he stays listless, he's probably too sick. If it's a female, see if she starts to move around a lot when moved to a new location.
B) Find out when they get their shipments in and pick your betta from the new shipment.
C) Avoid bettas that are pale in color and look like they might be missing scales, have ragged fins, or a lot of junk on the bottom of their containers like food residue etc.

I read in David Boruchowitz's book Aquarium Care of Bettas that many male bettas available may be a year or older because breeders hold them back for breeding and to let the finnage develop, since it's the fins that usually draw a customer in.

Hope these tips help.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #6 
Johnificent

all my bettas are from petco, and they are all doing all right :) Buying fish there, is like "rescuing" and petco has a really huge variety of bettas :) So, imo, i think petco should still sell bettas. :P really? bettas breeders dont want? i feel so sad for them :( at least we all give them homes X)
Johnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Exactly, Johnificent! The bettas at a breeder's home will get great care no matter how long they are there, but a pet store . . . enh. Just like adopting a dog who's living in a cage at a shelter.

Also, love the Greek myth names of your bettas. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

All of the bettas I have got from petco have been so tiny....So tiny they can't eat pellets...I am not sure how young though..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

^ probably still fry/very very young...they sell em like that, boo :c
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #10 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnificent View Post
all my bettas are from petco, and they are all doing all right :) Buying fish there, is like "rescuing" and petco has a really huge variety of bettas :) So, imo, i think petco should still sell bettas. :P really? bettas breeders dont want? i feel so sad for them :( at least we all give them homes X)
Indeed. All my bettas are from Petco as well. 6 females and 1 male. All are thriving. Around where I live there is a local private owned petshop that specializes in Fish (tropical and marine) only alongside a Petco and a Petsmart.

Out of the 3, Petco is by far the best place to find a good variety of heathy bettas
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote