Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #1 
germanchick09

1 male 3 females

okay people before you start bashing me with rude comments or telling me what to do. I have had bettas for the past 10 years. I have a 10 gal, its inhabitants are 2 bumblebee catfish, 3 ghost shrimp, my male HMPK Kane, and 3 females. My tank is planted very well. I have been watching my fish pretty much 24/7..well maybe 22/7...bathroom breaks...lol... This tank has been occupied like this for the past 15days. I figured Kane would constantly be chasing the females, but nope...he flares every once in a while when one swims up to him, but then he turns away and swims the other direction. Then i figured there would be fussing and fighting between the females because everyone on here always says they do....havent seen anything. i actually caught all 3 females in the little hiding spots together.
Has anyone else had good experience like me with males and females together?
germanchick09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #2 
Crazykat

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm concerned for your fish. I have read about people keeping males and females together, but always in giant tanks. A ten gallon is really just too small for them to avoid each other. I would suggest that you put your male in a separate tank and then either divide the tank between the females or get some more to make a sorority. It might seem like they're peaceful now, but I have heard too many stories of people doing things like this and coming home to dead fish. I have noticed that during the first few days in a tank for the females, everyone is a little disoriented and after that, the real pecking begins. Is this just an experiment, or do you live in a place that only allows one tank? Do they really all need to be in the same tank? I just want to add that I am in no way trying to be rude, bash you, or tell you what to do. I just personally would not risk the heartache that could be caused by this setup.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykat View Post
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm concerned for your fish. I have read about people keeping males and females together, but always in giant tanks. A ten gallon is really just too small for them to avoid each other. I would suggest that you put your male in a separate tank and then either divide the tank between the females or get some more to make a sorority. It might seem like they're peaceful now, but I have heard too many stories of people doing things like this and coming home to dead fish. I have noticed that during the first few days in a tank for the females, everyone is a little disoriented and after that, the real pecking begins. Is this just an experiment, or do you live in a place that only allows one tank? Do they really all need to be in the same tank? I just want to add that I am in no way trying to be rude, bash you, or tell you what to do. I just personally would not risk the heartache that could be caused by this setup.

+1. It seems like more and more people are thinking it's okay to keep a male and females together, but it's not. 99% of the time, it ends very badly. Why make such a risk, and stress the fish, just for one's selfish desire to keep them together because they get along right now? If you're set on doing this, at least get a bigger tank. That's my 2 cents xD haha :P
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #4 
Sakura8

This might work until one of the females comes into breeding condition. But then again, you never know. Every fish has a different personality and perhaps with all the other inhabitants to distract them, the bettas will avoid each other or band together against the non-betta fish. In the end, it's germanchick's call.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Like I said in another thread, things might be fine for quite awhile then, all of a sudden, all heck breaks loose. We had a member a few years back who insisted that her 2 females and male were fine together in a 20 gallon with a Chinese algae eater. She posted a video and it clearly showed the females with stress stripes and the male had what the member said was a little finrot but it looked like he was being nipped by another fish.Even sororities seem like they are fine for months, then the females all of a sudden start attacking each other.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:38 AM   #6 
Sakura8

I guess that person's definition of "fine" meant "not dead yet." :p However, it should be noted that Chinese Algae Eaters get big and very, very territorial. Those bettas probably weren't stressed by each other but by the CAE. Adventurous Aquarist Guide: The 101 Best Tropical Fish included the CAE in its list of 33 fish to AVOID. This is a list that includes the infamous Red Tail Catfish, piranha, and numerous other fish that are too big or too mean to be kept in most home aquariums.

Last edited by Sakura8; 05-15-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #7 
GienahClarette

Also, your tank sounds overstocked. If you follow the rule of at least 1 gallon per inch of fish, there are way too many fish in there. It seems like a lot of members are trying to do 10 gallon sororities lately. I'm personally of the opinion that 20 gallon is the minimum for those; I like to give fish a little more than just the minimum amount of space.
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #8 
LuckyFish

In the 1in of fish per gallon rule don't bettas get double the space? Like, if a betta is 1.5in it should get 3 gallons instead of the normal 1.5... anyways that's what I heard and follow.
LuckyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #9 
GienahClarette

I learned to go by the fish's adult size. So, for bettas, that's between 2-3 gallons. Same with all other fish's respective adult sizes.

1 male betta: 2-3 gallons = 2.5
3x female betta: 2-3 gallons = 7.5
2x bumblebee catfish: 2 gallons = 4 g
3 ghost shrimp: pretty much don't count...

Total: 14 gallons of fish in 10 gallons of water
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #10 
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanchick09 View Post
okay people before you start bashing me with rude comments or telling me what to do. I have had bettas for the past 10 years. I have a 10 gal, its inhabitants are 2 bumblebee catfish, 3 ghost shrimp, my male HMPK Kane, and 3 females. My tank is planted very well. I have been watching my fish pretty much 24/7..well maybe 22/7...bathroom breaks...lol... This tank has been occupied like this for the past 15days. I figured Kane would constantly be chasing the females, but nope...he flares every once in a while when one swims up to him, but then he turns away and swims the other direction. Then i figured there would be fussing and fighting between the females because everyone on here always says they do....havent seen anything. i actually caught all 3 females in the little hiding spots together.
Has anyone else had good experience like me with males and females together?
I'm not tring to be rude ,but why do people always try to defy reality usually with no good reason including that it almost always fails

Ok here's the reality of it:

betta males can not be kept with females usually regardless of the tanks size. Unless its some type of mutation of no instinct......which is one in a billion
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote