Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #1 
kathstew

Sorority tankmates?

Hello!

I have a ten gallon sorority with five females and two mystery snails.
Would I be able to add some corydoras catfish (4 of them) or some guppies? Not both, of course. If the snails are an issue, I can put them in my 5.5 gallon instead of the sorority. The sorority tank is very well planted, and I am planning to add some live plants today or very soon (depending on what the store has), probably java fern or anubias.

I tried the aq advisor, although I know it isn't very reliable, and it said it was OK. Is this true?

Thank you!

Edit: Or tetras. I couldn't remember what they were called! LOL Could I add tetras?

Last edited by kathstew; 05-14-2011 at 10:10 AM.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #2 
TonyK

I would think with just the females in the tank you would be close to full. I wouldn't add the corys because you would need at least 4. Now your talking 9 fish in a 10 gallon tank. That would be a big load for you filter to handle. If it was me I wouldn't do it. You could probably do that in a 20 long. That would look good.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #3 
kathstew

Well, because no one had answered my question within a few hours, I went and bought six neon tetras. -_-"
One is dead already. And one is missing.
The other four seem quite alright. What do you guys think?
Old 05-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #4 
TonyK

Don't know why the one died. Could be stress of the move, sick already, have you tested your water. That is an overcrowded tank. You have 9 fish and 2 snails the filter can't really keep up with that.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #5 
kathstew

I haven't tested my water. I will test it as soon as I can though...

I'm pretty positive the bettas killed it.... Its eyes were missing. It was really gross.

If I took the 2 snails out, and upped my water changes could I keep the four (five if you count the missing one) with my sorority?

I checked aq advisor, and it said it was OK, but I know depending on certain fish it can be unreliable. They are all getting along really well now. My bettas seemed to really hate that one tetra that died, and now that its gone, they are really calm.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #6 
TonyK

That might work. I just think an overcrowded tank puts stress on a fish. You can give it a try but, I would take the snails out of the tank.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #7 
DarkMoon17

You should get those tetras out asap. You can't have that many fish in a 10 gallon tank, there is no way the filter can keep up with it. Bettas need 2 gallons each, tetras each need 1 gallon (you should not use aqadvisor for stocking advise, it is only good for seeing what fish are compatible). In an overstocked tank, the females will tear those neons to pieces, which already happened once and will happen again no doubt (or just stress them to death). You should just leave the snails in with the sorority and take the tetras back to the store. Besides there is just no way to do enough water changes to keep neon tetras happy in that set up, they are very delicate, sorry :(
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #8 
kathstew

:(

I wish I had gotten your answer sooner Darkmoon. I woke up this morning, and I could only find two of the tetras. Went searching through the tank, and found the dead carcasses of the other tetras. I feel horrible. I watched them for hours, and they seemed fine, went to bed and woke up to them dead. I've taken the surviving tetras out, and I am going to be buying them their own tank and some more tetra friends today, because they need at least 5 together. Man, I can't believe I was so dumb!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #9 
DarkMoon17

Sorry about that, I was traveling. I would have told you sooner if I could :(

Girl bettas can be pretty nasty when they gang up on other fish. If you want to keep them with other types of fish they really need a LARGE tank or they will take their anger out on more vulnerable fish. It is also possible that the neons just couldn't adapt to the tank and it had nothing to do with the bettas being aggressive. Whenever I get neons I have a 33% die off since they have just become so delicate through the years (because of high demand and inbreeding). They also prefer acidic water which many people don't provide them.

Good luck with the others, if you got them a 10 gallon they would look really nice with some cherry shrimp :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about your tetras.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote