Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #1 
Diana S

Bettas alone ? Need info.

I reading other site about betta's.That they are ment to live alone.Don't put males with feamles.I put my girl with this guy yesterday.Now I'm wondering if this is O.K.I watching my girl 24/7 males sure she's O.K.She seem to like it.And he no bothering her too much flares at her then runs.
Not a good pic..he was looking right at me.And she too fast.
Diana S
Attached Images

Diana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

Are you prepared to deal with fry if your two bettas breed? It is quite an involved process. This is a possibility.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #3 
SillyCone

man, if they live ok together I might get a female for my fish, I don't mind if they breed, I will take care of the fry then sell for 1 each. :V
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #4 
Diana S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Fins View Post
Are you prepared to deal with fry if your two bettas breed? It is quite an involved process. This is a possibility.
I will learn . Diana
Old 05-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #5 
TonyK

I would be a little worried. I would assume it wouldn't take long for 1 to make quick work of other. I know you said you watch 24/7 but what about when your asleep.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #6 
bettafish15

What size is the tank? Eventually, there is going to be some beating up. There's just no point to keeping them together, they WILL fight, even if you think they "get along" bettas do not need betta buddies. It's a selfish thing to just want them together because you think they get along. At some point, they will tear each other apart. I would get the girl her own tank, it's worth it, then you wont have to deal with healing both her and his torn fins someday. Or fry, for that matter.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #7 
Twilight Storm

I agree it is probably a matter of time before one or the other starts to beat the other one up. If you are watching carefully you could just divide the tank if it comes down to it too if that is a 10 gal. or even a 5 gal. If they breed you probably wouldn't have to worry too much about lots of fry I am guessing. They will probably just eat them or your filter would most likely suck most of them up. (Depending on what kind you have.) Good luck with the setup, and just watch out for any fin damage to either of them. Some females have been known to kill the males. If all else fails you can probably take the male out and put another few females in and have a nice sorority. :)

I like how you have planted up your tank btw it looks really nice!
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #8 
nowzem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
What size is the tank? Eventually, there is going to be some beating up. There's just no point to keeping them together, they WILL fight, even if you think they "get along" bettas do not need betta buddies. It's a selfish thing to just want them together because you think they get along. At some point, they will tear each other apart. I would get the girl her own tank, it's worth it, then you wont have to deal with healing both her and his torn fins someday. Or fry, for that matter.
+ 1

Males and females should only be kept together for very short periods, and only to breed. And if you get fry, you won't be selling them because they'll just die if you don't know how to take care of them. An aquarium is not a wild habitat and you cannot treat it as such.
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #9 
Diana S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana S View Post
I reading other site about betta's.That they are ment to live alone.Don't put males with feamles.I put my girl with this guy yesterday.Now I'm wondering if this is O.K.I watching my girl 24/7 males sure she's O.K.She seem to like it.And he no bothering her too much flares at her then runs.
Not a good pic..he was looking right at me.And she too fast.
Diana S
She in her own little tank. Diana S
Old 05-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #10 
bettafish15

Thank you for putting her in her own tank, they are both better off this way. She'll be much happier :D I'm glad you listened to our advice ^^ If you want to have some other female bettas, you can have 5-6 of them together (remember: FEMALES) in a 10g or larger tank. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote