Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #1 
JeanLuc2

Exclamation Emergency!!!!

So a few days ago I posted about my fish being really sick and you all thought he had ammonia poisining. Now that I get a closer look at him (cause he is actually letting me) I think it may have been bloat. He is literally dying as I write this and I don't know how long I have. He is laying on his side not moving much at all and breathing really slow. I am willing to try the cure for bloat just to see if it helps. Can someone please give me the ratios or if he doesn't have very much time left just tell me to forget about and not even bother him?

Thanks
:'(
JeanLuc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #2 
SillyCone

This, fast:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Also try to get us a photo
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

In an emergency with bloat...get him in a small QT container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76F range....get some Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) 2tsp/gal and pre-mix in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water and start 50% water changes every hour for 3 hours with this water and then 100% daily for 10 days
If you have IAL or dried oak leaf add this to both the QT and the treatment water.....
Good luck
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #4 
JeanLuc2

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? roughly 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes, but I don't have it in there at the moment.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? look above
Is your tank heated? Yes, but I literally just got home from moving out of my dorm and I don't know if there's enough time left that I should bother him.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day 2 bits

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week, just did one yesterday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I don't have a test kit and don't know where to find one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He is lighter and looks a little bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is really sluggish. Hardly swims, mainly lays on side, and breaths really slowly.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? As I was driving home at 50 mph in a 40 mph trying to get him to make it until I got him in the other bowl.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I don't know what to do
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He may have had ammonia poisining (which may still be the case) for at least a week. I put clean water in his extra bowl and moved him there two nights ago. He was a lot better but still sluggish a sleeping a lot.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 8 months..got him in late August/early September..could have been slightly older and I didn't have a way to know.

Picture coming momentarily
Old 05-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #5 
SillyCone

Well, you changed your water yesterday, change it again today.

As oldfishlady said, start by doing daily 100% water change, that's a good start.

If he is bloated fast him for a day and do all the salty things old fish lady said, I don't know about that part, and she already said it! :P

Anyhow good luck with your fish and keep us updated! I will try to help as much as I can but I don't know much about fish illness care.

---------------

edit:

It's past midnight here and I'm really tired, but don't you worry, you are in good hands here! Better hands than my 1 and a half (I cut my left hand last Tuesday but that's another story).

Good night and good luck with your buddy, the key is, don't get nervous, whatever it may be, you're doing your best, and let's hope he will overcome this.

Last edited by SillyCone; 05-14-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #6 
JeanLuc2

Ok he's already swimming a little better and not lying on his side as much. It may have partially been that he got really shocked when I moved him in literally about an hour ago.

On side:

Semiregularly swimming...

Is this indeed bloat or something else?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #7 
SillyCone

I'm not sure, the pictures aren't that good but don't you worry.

I can't see him bloated, but that's my point of view, wait for the pro ones post, they are the wild dogs if you know what I mean.

I gtg now, best of luck to you.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #8 
JeanLuc2

Another thing to consider is that I have been feeding him everyday and he has been eating like a pig yet, I just noticed that he also looks somewhat thin. I don't know exactly what he has but, either way he is not doing very good despite being able to swim a little more normally.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #9 
Canuck Fins

OldFishLady is an expert so definitely take her advice. Keep with the treatment plan she recommended. Hopefully this is soon enough to help. It'll take some time to heal.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #10 
JeanLuc2

Ok here's an update.

Jean-Luc is back to as normal as possible being as he nearly died last night. He's swimming regularly, breathing regularly, not sleeping on his side much at all in fact he's doing it very little now. I finally found his food this afternoon; it was packed away for my move from the dorms and I forgot where it was as I raced to save his life, and fed him 4 pellets. He ate all 4 within 30 seconds.

My mom told me today that he looks a LOT better compared to yesterday. I have no idea what was going on but I will feed him 3 pellets tommorow, and then 2 the day after and on from then on. I will post updates tommorow and the day after. Also, I ended up sticking his heater in about an hour and a half after I got home and that helped too.

Thanks for the advice =D