Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #1 
amethystlady

temperature rising

Recently I baffled my Eclipse 3 with an aquarium sponge. (Just a trial as some of you suggested I didn't need to do it.) It did slow the filtration but could it also caused the temperature to rise? Temp in the tank is now close to 84 degrees! I should have left well enough alone! He didn't seem to mind the flow.

Thanks for your help.
amethystlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #2 
Crazykat

I can think of no reason that a slowed flow rate would cause an increase in temperature. I would actually expect, if anything, a slight decrease in certain areas of the tank due to lack of water circulation. I don't think this is related to your filter.

A few questions. Is your heater adjustable? If so, crank it down, even if it says it's at the correct temperature.

Is your heater preset? If so, is the amount of watts appropriate to your tank size? If the heater is supposed to be good for your tank size, I would worry that it is breaking and as much as I hate to say it, you might want to look into buying a new one.

Adjustables are more expensive, but they're really nice to have around in case you need to treat a disease by raising or lowering temperature. I'd say it's worth it.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #3 
amethystlady

Hi Crazykat,

It's a 10 watt Marineland heater I've had since last October, came with the tank. So far it has been great. Maybe it's because the room is a little warm. I don't know. Can he do okay with the temperature reading 86 or is that too warm?

Thanks .........
Old 05-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #4 
CyerRyn

My boys did okay with the heatwave in my apartment over the last couple days.. spiked the tank from 80F to 86F-87F range.. their happily swimming away still being nosey whenever anyone passes their tank. I'd still try to keep it cooler around 82F. I actually had a thread not long back about ways to keep tanks cooler. My idea was popping some ice cubes (the re-freezable kind that look like plastic pillows) into the filter chamber so that it keeps it a little cooler as well as helps circulate into the water to avoid cold spots. Have you tried a fan facing the tank too?
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #5 
Crazykat

Oh, good point. Is it really hot where you are? It could just be the room temperature and not the heater at all. Sorry, didn't think of outside temperature. I live in New England, and I'm still rooting for the temperature to make it into the 70s. XD
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #6 
amethystlady

Hi again! I also live in New England and it was unusually warm today. It actually even stopped raining! I think that he did well with the warmer weather last October so I don't want to get too alarmed. It's probably just the heat in my office. I will keep an eye on it. I also do like the pillow ice cube idea - which I will use if I have to! Thanks.