Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #1 
OwnerofSaix

Is this normal or bad? Should I be worried?

Ok so I posted on here about a week ago describing how Saix has fin rot, and some people told me he has ammonia burn. So I did what you all said and I change his tank every other day now.

But today I found him floating upside down. His nose was pointed at the ground with his butt in the air and he wasn't moving. I was so sure he was dead, but I tapped the tank a little and he woke up.

Is this a sign of him dying? What should I do?

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day, six out of seven days. seventh day gives him a chance for his digestion tract to move along.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin Aqua+plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm(liquid tester)
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? not much since a week ago, some of his back tail has regrown
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he's become much more like his normal self, very outgoing and active
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes
How old is your fish (approximately)? i've had him for 5 months, not sure how old he is exactly
OwnerofSaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:15 AM   #2 
SillyCone

Ok, your aquarium is way too small, try getting a 2.5.

For that size you are now, you have to do DAILY water change, at 100%.

Flakes aren't a good food for bettas, try getting pellets or granules, frozen blood worms are a nice option as well.

And try to get a heater + a thermometer to keep the water temp stable.

Other than that, wait for the "salt experts" to arrive and tell you further treatments.
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #3 
OwnerofSaix

I have a thermometer and the room he's in always keeps his tank warm, but we're going to get a heater soon anyways. I don't think I can afford a larger tank by myself, and it took a lot of convincing to my dad to ask for the heater because he's frugal and doesn't care about my fish. I'll try to get different food.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Your tank size is fine and so is your temp.......provided that you make the needed water changes of 1-50% and 1-100% a week in a 1gal unfiltered tank with one Betta to maintain water quality......

Once you woke him up...how did he act? back to his normal self, swimming eating etc......if so-he was most likely just resting and nothing to worry about...if not, how did he act.......

You posted his fin rot has improved and started acting his normal self....has that changed......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #5 
OwnerofSaix

When I woke him up he was back to his normal self again, and he's eating just fine. It was a really weird resting position though, it freaked me out. ><

He still has really bad fin rot all over his body, but his tail is growing back and he seems a lot more like his normal self. I'm doing all I can for him and he seems to appreciate that. He's always happy to see me. He isn't always full of energy, but he's a lot more energetic than a week ago, when I had only just started changing his tank every other day. Lately he seems kind of lonely because I moved my laptop and I to my bed because I am sick. Maybe he's just trying to find new ways to entertain himself. XD
Old 05-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

How are you treating his fin rot and for how long....can you post some pic of the infected fins....

It sounds like he misses you....lol.....hope you start to feel better soon.....a Betta can be great company when you are sick......
Old 05-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #7 
OwnerofSaix

I've been keeping the tank clean I don't know what else to do. Here are some pictures.

This is what he used to look like....

Old 05-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I can't tell much by the pic......he is a pretty fella btw....can you describe what you are seeing.....if the fin edges are crusty, discolored, frayed you may want to start aquarium salt treatment....if they are not...clean water treatment that you are currently doing should take care of it....

A good treatment for fin rot-aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76-77F range....adding tannins are also helpful from either IAL or dried Oak leaf.....

By pre-mixing the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins will help make correct dosage and water changes easier....

Nutrition is also important part of the healing process-high protein foods fed in small frequent meals but not to the point of bloat....live foods like mosquito larva are best and then frozen.....
Old 05-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #9 
OwnerofSaix

Ok, I'll see if my dad can pick up the salt and some different food. Here's to hoping. I've bonded with him a lot the past 5 months, and I really don't wanna lose him...
Old 05-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #10 
OwnerofSaix

Ok, so I found some epsom salt in our cabinet. Can I use that, or should I definitely get aquarium salt?