Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #1 
Luimeril

Floaty Cup. D:

so, i've always had issues with Cup, my oldest male VT, bloating up and floating like a cork right after water changes. so, it's nothing new. poor boy bloats and floats at everything. pellets too small? floaty Cup. pellets too dry? floaty Cup. water changes? floaty Cup. i've gotten used to it, so i feed him every other day, with certain pellets, and gave him the de-wired Betta Hammock to rest under.

well, i put him in Archie's sterilized 2 gallon, put Zidane back in his 2 gallon Sterilite bin, and gave my brother the 3 gallon for Wheatly. i heard Lulu splashing about, so i went over to check on them, and saw poor Cup all bloated and Floaty again. D: he hasn't been floaty in so long, i thought i'd balanced everything out in his life. instead of hiding under his hanging plant on the betta hammock like usual, though, he's been bobbing about with his back above the water.

that's when i got a great idea. :d i went and got a small sandwich baggie, washed it with hot water, opened it then closed it back(to trap a bit of air in it), and put it in his tank. :3 it sits just above the surface, with no air between it and the water, and he can rest under it without drying out his back while he un-floats(i call them fishy farts. >.>; but, that's just my childish mind for ya.).

but, i'm curious: why would a water change make him bloat up and float like this? the users on UB couldn't give me a good answer, so it's been as mysterious as Weiss' death for me.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #2 
bettafish15

The Curious Case of Cup the Betta. XD Sorry, I have no answers for you. Maybe he's like a puffer fish and instead of puffing when stressed, he floats?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:06 AM   #3 
Luimeril

he puffs, too! his poor little belly looks like he nommed a packet of pellets. Dx

>w> say that five times fast. Cup the Puffer nommed a Packet of Particular Pellets.

oh, gawd. i'm having so much fun with that now. xD

he's so cute, sitting under the baggie. ;A;
Old 05-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #4 
BrookeGrace

I don't have much of answer for you either, but that's a clever method you came up with! Kudos!

Maybe the puffing is just a quirk. Once that is all said and done (well, done, since fish don't talk..... or do they?! *dundundun*), is his behavior normal?
BrookeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

My guess is that it is stress related. There are a number of gastric issues in humans that result in bloating *cough* and they usually flare when you get stressed. Since you changed his tank, that might have been just stressful enough for him to have a flare up. Maybe it is immunological ( an immune disease like Lupus ).
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #6 
Luimeril

he's acting pretty normal. i haven't fed him yet, since i don't feed him when he puffs up. he's chilling right now, under the baggie, but he still wiggles at me, then flares at me when he sees i don't have food. >.>;
Old 05-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

Sounds like you have your work cut our for you with that boy lol
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #8 
Luimeril

:d today, he's not floaty at all, and has bubble nested all under the baggie! xD he was giving me that "this is MY nest!" look when i checked on him, so he's back to his normal self. :d
Old 05-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

My one fish just did something similar...Yesterday he was floating at the top unable to get down...I only fed him 2 pellets...This morning he is mysteriously able to swim ok again...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote