Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #1 
Wyvern

Newcomer :)

Good day everyone :)

Im new to the betta's but not that new to fishkeeping - I have goldies that I love but have always wanted Betta's.

At first I started out with a small tank about 10liters (sorry im south african and gallons are greek to me). Then my brother decided to suprise me and made a divider for the tank using plastic netting, plastic binders (those you use for projects). Once he divided the small tank he came home with my second betta.

They seemed to do very well in the small tank, leaving each other alone mostly. (Moon, my new kid - he just loved flaring for my goldfish and ignored his tankmate Ozzy!)

Then my brother (he keeps other tropical fish) decided to upgrade to a 60L tank and donated his Jebo338 to me - so my goldfish moved to the bigger tank and I made a divider again with the plantmesh, this time I wound some cotton thread on it and stuck Java Moss on it in various places (Im hoping to get the moss to cover the whole section (almost A4 in size) so that it creates a natural looking barrier between the two kids. At the moment they can still see each other and Ozzy is flaring like a madman every now and then. Moon tends to ignore him tho.

The tank that they moved into is a Jebo 310 (about 30l without decorations and gravel).

I was just wondering what else I could add to the tank to make it less stressfull for them. Because I noticed Moons fins are a bit ragged and I am guessing its from the stress of the move. Altho he is still eating and playing with his Java moss (I have 2 small bits in both tanks that used to be in their teracota pots but they like moving it all over the tank.)

The setup of my two tanks

The betta tank

Close up of Ozzy and Moon (Ozzy is the one on the left and Moon is on the right)

Moon (He loves his terracotta pot! I glued the openings at the back closed with marine glue and stuck a glass pebble on there to make it look pretty)

Any tips or advise would be welcome :)
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....nice looking Bettas......
I like what you did with their tank....the only thing I can think of is maybe adding more live plants or silk plants that go all the way to the top, otherwise, the setup looks pretty good.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #3 
Wyvern

Thanks for the welcome!

Ive managed to borrow my brothers camera so decent pics incoming now.

I do have a question on Moon (my blue boy) his fins are looking horrible - they where not perfect when I got him but its looking a bit worse at the moment. Not sure if it was the move that made it worse, its mainly the tail and his bottom fin that is looking bad, ironically his dorsal fin is getting better.

I have added aquarium salt to the tank and do feed them Tetra Prima granuals as well as frozen (well i defrost them in tank water) bloodworms - I alternate between the two and fridays is their fasting day. What else can i do to help him?

The plants is a work in progress as my LPS gets more stock in.

Ozzy showing off (he loves the camera!)

Moon with his ragged tail :(
(he doesnt like the camera!)

Old 05-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

Lovely betta's! Welcome to the forum.

Moon looks like he has some crowntail in him. Has his fins always had a bit of a rough spiney look to them?
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #5 
denaliwind

Oh wow, I never thought to put java moss on the divider! That will look so nice when it fills in, a beautiful green wall. :D

Welcome to the forum and the world of betta keeping! :D Moon might be a tail biter, which comes from stress/boredom or just doesn't like feeling weighted down by his fins. xD Or it could just be the way is fins are naturally.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #6 
Wyvern

I will give him time and see what happens, his dorsal fin was half there and half not when I got him. The tail has only become like that since the move to the big tank. Honestly no idea what kind he is due to the way his fins looked when I got him.

It was hard to choose tho cos we dont have a lot of betta stock like you guys in the usa have. I had to wait about 3 weeks before the new stock arrived and I was hoping for a more turquoise colour, but the breeder told me his last turquoise one died a while ago and he himself is looking for new ones so that he can breed them.

Bu tI do love Moon and Ozzy, very happy with them both, they come nudge my finger when I say hello in the tank as well as take food directly from my fingers :)

I was worried at first that seeing each other the whole time would stress them out, but it doesnt seem to bother either of them. And if they want some quiet time they both take naps in the terracotta pots.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Do you have a filter in their tank.....and if so, what kind is it...
Old 05-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #8 
Wyvern

Yes the Jebo310 comes with a built in filter. Moon isnt on the filter side tho, he is next to the heater. And Ozzy is next to the filter inlet and its got a waterfall effect feeding the water into tank again.
http://www.jeboaquarium.com/R3%20Ser...0Aquariums.htm
Old 05-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Sometimes fin issues can be related to the filter or water movement especially for the long heavy fin males...from both the intake and overflow that can cause stress on the fins...kinda like a flag blowing in the wind effect.....delicate fins can stress in the water movement and the fins are used more too...etc.......

Substrate can also be a factor as well as decorations...as they drag these delicate fins over them...the fins tatter and get worn and weaken....not all Bettas have problems like this but some do and are things to rule out when water quality is not the issue.....

Speaking of water quality....you may have posted this already....but to re-cap....what is the tank size, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, additives used, type and amount of food....this can also be factor in fin health in this species of fish....you make one water change for quality and one water change for fins in a lot of setups...depending on tank size and bioload.....Bettas are different when it come to care in some areas......each one is different and unique....due to age, past care, nutrition and genetics....

Nutrition can be a big factor in fin health too...a good varied diet in small frequent meals.....the age of the fish food itself as it can degrade over time and you can have nutritional loss......
Old 05-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #10 
Wyvern

Ok tank size is about 28liters (27cmx34cmx30cm about)
I do 25% changes 2 times a week, but the filter in the tank is really good - I kept 4 goldfish in it before with no issues. And before you ask - I cleaned the tank very well before I moved the betta's into the tank. Also its gone thru a cycle - about 3 weeks. Only added the betta's when the cloudiness went away and my LPS tested the water for me (testing kits here are extremely expensive) and told me all the parameters are normal. Will get the numbers from them next time I go there.

I feed them once a day 3 granules of the TetraPrima granules. As well as rotating in bloodworms and freeze dried tubiflex - they love all their food. Also fast them once a week. Also I keep an eye out for left over food - had a bad experience with my goldfish being overfed and the leftover food caused an ammonia spike - so i clean the gravel with a gravel vac once a week.