Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #1 
SashimiBetta

Exclamation Are My Betta Fish Getting Good Heating?

So, I found out my Female Betta is stressed out a bit. She is not eating food or anything. (She made horizontal lines on her sides). Than I found out, that I forgot to buy her a heater.

I thought I should leave her bowl (and her) under 'Cabinet Lighting'. Than, I thought that maybe I should put her future mate next to her, so I put Sashimi under the 'Cabinet Lighting'.

Female, Leela (left). Male, Sashimi (right).

Do you think this is good enough for "heating". Trust me, it produces the same heat from a lamp.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about: (Sorry, I can't afford a tank right now, but Sashimi (right) made his own bubble nest, so he is happy in his bowl)
Attached Images

SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #2 
iamtetsuo

Only way to tell if that is producing enough heat is to have a thermometer in the tank, but I can almost guarantee that set up is not heating the water one bit.

Even if the lamp was heating the bowls I assume you're not leaving the lights on overnight. The tanks will be cooling down with the rest of your house overnight. If you are leaving the light on 24hrs a day that is what is causing your fish to become stressed, bettas should get at the max 8 hours of direct light a day. Unless you live in Hawaii or Florida and don't cool your house with AC you need to go get a heater ASAP. And a bigger tank; get a 10 gallon, split it with a divider and house both bettas in it. And don't tell me you can't afford a bigger tank: Top FinŽ 10 Gallon Aquarium Hood Combo - Sale Category - PetSmart
iamtetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #3 
Canuck Fins

Cabinet lighting is not likely to be consistent. It'll heat at the surface, but not overall. Save for a heater. Your fish will be happiest at 76 to 82*; the water will be a few degrees cooler than room temperature without a heater by default.

The other thing I want to comment on is the size of your bowls. How big are those? Small tanks will need very frequent water changes.

:)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #4 
SillyCone

that's a heck lot of gravel on both tanks. O.o
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #5 
SashimiBetta

Oh no. They are both 1 inch tall. The glass I guess makes it look super big.
SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #6 
kathstew

Where did you get that glass fish thing the one bowl is on? It looks AWESOME.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #7 
bettafish15

1. She could be stressed because she's seeing the male all the time, and is also cold.
2. You need to get a heater for your tiny tanks. The light will not give them a consistent temperature and you cannot leave them on all night.
3. By "future mate" you mean you're going to breed them? Bad idea, I suggest you learn more about betta keeping before trying breeding, it is a difficult and expensive undertaking ;)
4. Bubble nests DO NOT INDICATE HAPPINESS. They indicate him being territorial. He is not happy in his cold bowl and neither is she.

Hope you learn from everyones posts ^^
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote