Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #51 
BettaBetty

Also, I am going to put a tiny bit of egg yolk in there with them I think its okay to feed now right?
BettaBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:09 AM   #52 
lunawatsername

sorry i cant answer your question, ive never bred before :/ but i just wanted to say omg! how cute!!! :D this made me so excited for when i do start breeding eventually! good luck with them!!! :D
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:53 AM   #53 
BettaBetty

Hehe, thanks! Everything so far is going so well. Everyone looks good and BG is being such a good fishdad. I did catch him sleeping today while all the fry swam all over him, I tried to take a pic but soon as I lifted the towel he woke up lol
Old 05-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #54 
lunawatsername

hahaha that would have been the most priceless picture ever! xDDD
Old 05-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #55 
BettaBetty

Update:

Today I took out BG because he was really starting to shut down I thought. Laying around weird looking and hiding somtimes.

I think the fry will be fine now, they are all -mostly- free swiming. I guess they like to rest at the bottom sometimes.

Crossing fingers they make it! I already bought a bunch of 1 quart mason jars (12 widemouth large jars at walmart for $10.) I got 24 and set them up on my fish shelf. Without water or anything. Im just being prepared. lol...

Hopeing my BBS hatch tomorrow. I did try some egg yolk today and I think they were eating it because they started to have yellow bellies.

White specks are still on the glass, moving around. Maybe the fry are eating them too? I don't know! Its not on the fish at all.

I also tried to suck out some of the dirty bottom water with my baster, that went well and I didnt get any fry with it.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #56 
youlovegnats

Yaaayyy congrats! Yeah they should be able to eat BBS and egg yolk now. :) You should also start doing daily water changes now- 15-20% ^__^ Just make sure the new water is the same temp. as the old water, so as to not shock the fry.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #57 
Martinismommy

Congratulations! Looks like you have a nice large spawn..
Martinismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #58 
lunawatsername

thats awesome! they sound so cute lol yellow bellies :D
Old 05-20-2011, 02:29 AM   #59 
BettaBetty

5/20/11 Update. Day 4

Today is day 4 and my fry seem to be thriving. Ive started them on BBS and they seem to eat them up, I cant see them eating it or even see it in their bellies but when I look a few hours later I can only see a few BBS left in the tank.

I think they are also eating whatever the tiny white moving things on the glass. (I know OFL told me what it probably was but I can't see the name as im writing this post... ) I think this because 1. They have full looking white bellies. 2. Everyone is up and swiming all over the front panel of the tank where the most of these white things are.

Those that are weak and resting alot seem to still be resting and unmoving maybe at all. I think about 50-100 strong healthy fry remain swiming happy all around.

Next time I wont make such a large batch of BBS because if I am to only feed within the first 48 hours (or is it 24) then I will have to waste a lot of BBS.

Had to figure out how to strain the BBS without a shrimp net. I found a piece of my lace for my crafts and its got a thick strip of very fine mesh and I stuck that inside my regular fish net and it worked!

Fins are developing nicely, I can make out the first of the pectoral fins . Also I see many of the caudal fins are straight to the bottom and then round. Like a little paddle. Its so cute. I admit I spend WAY to much time staring at them lol...

Here is a pic I took in the dark, you can see their little eyes glowing lol.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #60 
ChelseaK

Woot Woot! Looks like you're doing a great job!
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote