Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #1 
dsevo

Exclamation please help

here is the low down - ive had my betta for 2yrs - he was living in a 1galbowlon my desk and doing perfectly fine and as beautiful as ever - about a month ago i wanted to givehim a biggerhomeand bought a 2gal tank with a filter - did nto run the filter all the time bc he would hide in the plant when the current was too strong for him - noticed last week he lost all of his beautiful tail - i assumed it was fin rot and he got his tail ripped on the plant the water was dirty *didn't change it for 3 weeks due to filter* - i moved him back to 1gal bowl and treated with salt and bettafix for 6 days he was swimming around all last week during the treatment no problem - he continued to act as normal - came in on monday and did a 100% water change and put more salt and betta fix and noticed that he stopped swiming and only lays on the bottom gasping for air -he darts to the top for air and then sinks back down - when i noticed i immediately did another 100% water changed to take out the bettafix *felt that maybe i over medicated him* and just added some salt yesterday I also did a 100% water change and added some salt - he has been likethisfor3 daysand will not eator swim - im not surewhat else to do - i don't notice anything abnormal besides the fin rot - no ick or velvetor anything - is it just his time? i honestly don't want to lose him bc ive had him for 2yrs my longest living fish. can someonehelp?

Housing What size is your tank? 1gal then moved to 2gal then back to 1gal What temperature is your tank? Room temp Does your tank have a filter? 1gal no 2gal yes *not run all the time* Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no Is your tank heated? no What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flakes, pellets, freeze dried blood worms How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 days; only a couple pieces each time

Maintenance How often do you perform a water change? 1gal=1per week 2gal=did not change for 3weeks What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? decholrinator

Water Parameters: Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a Nitrite: n/a Nitrate: n/a pH: n/a Hardness: n/a Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Loss of color, tail rot, labored breathing, either gills or flare sticking out from gill flaps How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lays on bottom if not against something will fall to side When did you start noticing the symptoms? Tail rot = last week; labored breathing and not swimming = 3 days ago Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes with bettafix and salt Does your fish have any history of being ill? No perfectly fine for 2yrs How old is your fish (approximately)? 2-2 yrs
dsevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #2 
tokala

Well, the main thing I can see that would be making your fish sick is your water change schedule. I believe in a 1 gal they need a daily 100% water change (though it may be 100% every other day, 50% in between). Once a week a too long, and allows ammonia to build up to a toxic level. This can make them VERY sick and damage the fragile tissue on their gills. Here is my favorite post about water chemisty http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....591#post633591 If you scroll down to the second post there should be a water change schedule for all tank sizes. Also, betta are tropical fish and need a heater. Even if you keep your room temp really warm, keep in mind that water is always 5-6 degrees cooler. Bettas prefer temps 76-82 degrees F. Any colder lowers their immune system and makes them lethargic.
I am so sorry he is so sick, and I really hope some of this info helps! I am sure others will chime in and have more to add. But at this point, warm clean water is probably the best thing you can do. I would also recommend getting a much larger tank. Good luck and keep us posted! :)
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #3 
mignesme

hey, i think you should stop changing the water. My first betta died because of the filter. Just give him a day or two to adapt to his environment and rest. Changing the water too often might just shock him
also you might check the temperature of the tank, maybe it's a bit too cold for him.

hope ur betta gets well soon
mignesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #4 
dsevo

He thrived in a 1gal bowl for 2 yrs with the water change schedule I had. The problem is after the move to the bigger tank. I just want my happy fish back.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #5 
dsevo

Just to add. Water temp is 70 @ room temp and just bought jungle life guard. Will give that a try
Old 05-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #6 
Silverfang

clean water and a heater, they like it closer to 78 or even 80
In a small container, especially 1gal, you want to change the water every other day, in a 2 gal you need to change it at least twice a week.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #7 
dsevo

OK I have some before and after pics of him. Like I said before he did fine for 2 yrs in the bowl with once a week water change and no heat. He was the happiest guy in the office. Right now bc he is sick yes I know daily changes or every other day and warm water. I will not be using the 2 gal tank for him again since that is where everything went wrong. I know if I kept him in the bowl without ever changing the tank he would be fine like he was.
I started him on life guard today and added a heater and salt. I included the pics BC may e there is something that I'm missing
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #8 
dsevo

Sorry here are the before pics. Any expert help would be greatly appciated. A fish never had me in tears before
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #9 
dsevo

As mentioned in the original post he was being treated with betta fix all last week and seemed to be doing OK. He was swimming around and eating as normal then this week nothing just lays there heavily breathing unless I stir up movement from him. All this happened ina span of three weeks. All his beautiful tail and fins gone! I feel like there is simethng else that I need to do
Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #10 
nowzem

I would stop using the bettafix immediately and also, what dose of salt are you using? It sounds like he is in shock and unfortunately they often do not recover if the source of shock is not discovered and discontinued. You need to do daily water changes. Use 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of dechlorinated water (let it sit for a day if you can, this is important, with the salt and dechlorinator added). Then put him in a small, soap-free (rinse rinse rinse) container like the cup he probably came in with whatever water he is currently in. Float this cup with him and the" old water" in his new water for 10 minutes, slowly adding new water to acclimate him after the 10 minutes (the 10 minutes is to ensure the temperature of old and new is the same). I also would not use a heater, only because the temperature-change may be a huge shock. If he does recover, a heater will be one of your greatest allies in fighting disease. For now, make sure the room is warm (76 would be great if you can.) I am also NOT convinced that he has fin rot. It may just be torn fins, just use salt for now. Eventually, you'll want to bump the salt dosage up to 1 tsp/gallon, but I would wait about 3 days before doing so to make sure the salt isn't aggitating him. It is extremely important that you do everything you can to make his water changes more gentle...so please be sure to slowly acclimate him when you do water changes.

By the way, it was not the larger tank, but probably the change from tanks and the too strong filter that stressed him. A larger tank will be easier to maintain, but the 1 gallon is fine for his hospital stay :) Good luck!
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote