Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #11 
JKfish

O_O where is your boy friend getting his information? PH is the acidity or alkinity of the water, how long it stays in the tank (unless you have something in there that lowers the ph) should not change the ph. If he hasn't joined here yet, I suggest you get him over here... we have correct info! XD

http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm this is cycling :) Unfortunately it's pretty much impossible to get a stable and reliable cycle in anything less than say a 5 gallon, though that's not bad per say.

You could divide and cycle a ten gallon. That way you only have to have one filter, and one heater and one tank, and you can still fufil the needs of each fish. Petsmart (I think) is still having a sale on empty 10 gallon tanks for 12 dollars. You can find a good filter for maybe 15-20 ish dollars (I highly recommend Aquaclear 20 for a 10 gallon), and a good heater for 20 ish dollars (Aqueon 50watt Pro would work well in a 10 gallon).

Last edited by JKfish; 05-15-2011 at 11:12 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #12 
Neil D

The bacterial growth forms in larger tanks in a process known as cycling. 1g is too small to cycle, plus you need a filter to do so. For tanks 3G or less, 100% changes are recommended. On cycled tanks, you should never do a 100%. it will cause the tank to mini-cycle...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #13 
Vayla

Thanks so much. We'll do what we can tonight, and then pick up some new equipment tomorrow.
Vayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #14 
laughing

That is "cycling" the tank, and it doesn't affect pH, rather ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels. And this is impossible to obtain in a 1 gallon bowl. Why? Your fish and its food is constantly producing ammonia and it builds up way too fast for the bacteria to grow completely to get rid of it.

If you'd like to "cycle" it, try 2.5 gallons or larger. My suggestion is get the Hawkeye 5 gallon tank from WalMart. It's like $25! Then you can put in a divider to keep both in. In a 5 gallon you'll definitely get to cycle it.

Cycling takes a few weeks, too. So be patient! You'll have to do regular water changes until it builds up. Most likely do 50% twice a week and you'll be good. Kind of depends on the fish, really. I'd say to be safe do a 50% once a week and a "full" water change. You basically just remove as much water as possible without taking everything out of the tank. An aquarium vacuum definitely helps on this. Also, get a 5 gallon bucket. At hardware stores (like Home Depot) they sell for like $4 or something.

:)
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #15 
laughing

Go to Walmart for the filter if you're doing a 10 gallon. They have a 5-15 gallon filter for $10. ^^

Also, the Hawkeye comes with the lighted hood & filter.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #16 
wallywestisthebest333

Alright. =] Good luck. =] Sorry about all the madness here and hope things go well. =]

Keep us updated! =] And if you still want help with your PH you can take a look at my last post on page one. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #17 
Twilight Storm

I tried looking up Revive water conditioner and came up empty on a google search. If it is the blue stuff, that makes your water tidy bowl blue- Hikari Betta Revive- I would go with a simple dechlorinator. The blue stuff is medicine. (not good to keep your fish in all the time, despite pet stores that do it, like petsmart and others)

If I misunderstood sorry for the post, but that is the only Revive water conditioner that came up.

Best wishes
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #18 
wallywestisthebest333

If you don't have actual water conditioner then I suggest Seachem's PRIME as a water conditioner! =] IT costs $7 or $9 for a smaller bottle but you only use 2 drops per gallon to dechlorinate! It's WAY easy to measure as long as you buy an eye or medicine dropper and it lasts FOREVER (stinks a bit though when you open it, doesn't stink when you put it in water) so it's a real bang for your buck! =]
Old 05-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #19 
YoshesMom

you may not have known what to do at first but you did exactally the right thing asking for help..we all start somewhere and this is a great place to start
keep up on those 100% water changes and your boys should perk right up and WELCOME to the forum! when things settle down we usually demand pictures so get to snappin! ..good luck
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:35 AM   #20 
wallywestisthebest333

^^^ +1 My sentiments exactly! <3 You came here for help and better info and that's what counts (along with implementing it of course which you've already started doing! =])!

You're awesome for joining and listening! <3 Can't wait to see pictures of your boys! =]