Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #1 
elsilerjr

New tank

So i decided to transfer my betta from the 9 gallon Biube and got him a 5 gallon hawkeye, It fits and looks better on my desk. And ill just use the Biube for someother fish. So far he likes it, i had to turn the filter flow on low and he is acting fine, But he wont stay away from the water flow. He swims with the small current with his fins flared even if i turn off the filter he does it, so im not sure what hes doing? When he swims away for a min or to he relaxes, but the second he gets back infront of filter he goes in his crazy mode and i noticed he is taking alot of breaths faster then ussal. Maybe exercise for him? But anyway heres his new tank. I bought the cave at my lps i loved the way it looked and it fit perfect, and the center plant came from his 1/2 gallon jail cell the guy sold me before i knew any better. Im going to be ordering some more silk plants so it looks better.

elsilerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #2 
Grundylady

It's beautiful. I love the cave.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #3 
elsilerjr

thank you, I seen that cave and i grabbed it asap it was the last one, and i couldnt belive how perfect it fit in the hawkeye's corner so perfect, it was ment to be, haha. So my next question is, can i get some sort of Shrimp to put in there or is it to small or what are some options? I wanted to get some sort of ground crawler.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #4 
Canuck Fins

I have the same tank. If you feel there's too much of a current, try baffling it. I have an aquarium sponge attached with an elastic on the front where the water comes out of the filter. He's probably just adjusting to the new space yet. :)

You could get a couple of ghost shrimp or a snail with your betta in the 5G.

Do you have a thermometre in your tank? Maybe just the angle of the shot, but it's important too. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #5 
elsilerjr

yea i have my thermo on the right hand side of it. I found out he was attacking his reflection in the black filter, Soon as i put paper there he stopped. So i went to my lps and got a small backing for it. Looks great. I have the filter on low settings and my betta likes it. Ill have to go get some ghost shrimp for it later and do some research on em, there 25c each at out lps.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #6 
elsilerjr

would i also be able to put some neon tetra's in there? i Seen a youtube vid and a guy had a Crown tail betta, 6 or 7 Neon tetras and 4 ghost shrimp, Would there be a way to maybe add 5 neon tetra's and maybe 1-2 ghost shrimp? or is that to much.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #7 
Canuck Fins

A 5G tank isn't big enough for other fish. You could have shrimp or snails but not other fish with the betta. If you moved up to a 10G, you'd be able to look at adding a school of fish.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #8 
Diana S

He looks happy.Diana S
Diana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #9 
iamtetsuo

A five gallon is a bit too small for most snails, they have a fairly heavy bio load (they poop a lot )

I tried ghost shrimp with my male betta. It took him three days to tear the two of them to pieces. By the sounds of it your guy is just as aggressive as mine was so he's probably not going to be thrilled with tank partners of any kind.
iamtetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

Actually a 5 gallon is ample space for multiple snails.

The biggest factor in your snail's bioload is what kind of snail it is.

Bigger snails have bigger bioloads. So while you could only have one mystery snail or one nerite snail in a 5 gallon with your betta you could have a handful of ramshorn snails, or pond snails.

Also live plants help and are encouraged with both shrimp and snails so that they can hide from your betta and wont be eaten.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote