Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #11 
Sakura8

You can grow baby brine shrimp in a very small space. I'm not sure about how healthy it is to feed them brine shrimp all the time, though. It's really best to feed a varied diet so maybe supplement with a prepared food.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...ps/c/3578/7954
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #12 
SilverMagic

What do you think of this as a source of live food for your bettas? Ignore the cartoons. They're not that cute, they're just brine shrimp meaning once you get past the age of 10 the excitement of having aquatic monkeys wears off and they become fish food.
http://www.sea-monkeys.com/

Research this well first. Unfortunately I never had any luck keeping sea-monkeys alive for very long even though I followed the manual. And if the sea-monkeys aren't kept healthy they can't be very healthy for your fish. Although I will admit at a time when I was more uninformed years ago and I was also misinformed by pet shop employees I had bettas in glass bowls, no heater, no filter, please forgive me, I didn't know any better back then, I did cultivate sea-monkeys and feed them to my bettas and they were tasty morsels to them. But now I would be more cautious about this since my sea-monkeys did not last long. Try sucessfully raising healthy sea-monkeys first, if you are good at this and they don't die before they're supposed to then you should be able to feed them to your betta.

Oh, and I agree with Sakura, supplement with prepared food.
SilverMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #13 
Sakura8

Hmm. What an interesting idea. It never once occurred to me that Sea-Monkeys could be edible to something but now that I think about it, it's like a big giant "DUH!" I never tried raising Sea-Monkeys, though. But I don't know, it sounds like these things are now genetically altered like crazy. Would that be good for a betta?

What were you supposed to feed a Sea-Monkey anyway?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #14 
SilverMagic

If you order the sea-monkey kit they will send you the food. It comes with an instruction manual with information on how to take care of them. Be sure to ignore their advice about not putting them in aquariums or they will become a snack for your fish. LOL
SilverMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #15 
Kytkattin

I got some Spectrum. The tiny, higher protein stuff. He likes it, and it works well enough. Really not happy with Hikari changing their formula. It makes me a little sick to think that people will continue to buy Hikari because of their good name, thinking they are giving their fish some of the best possible nutrition, when they are not. :(

Looks as though Sea Monkeys are a subspecies of Brine Shrimp. Interesting! Though as mentioned before, I simply cannot raise live food right now, at least not until I research some housing options. Maybe I will be able to get some mosquito larva over the summer from the yard.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Hmm. I didn't know Hikari had changed their formula at all or I might have shopped around as well. But I've got it so I might as well use it and, really, whatever Hikari is lacking the other foods I give will probably compensate.

By the way, exactly when did Hikari change the formula?