Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #1 
moniibettalover

Empty...

My 7 gallons tank seems very empty :/ the only fish in it is my male betta Ryan. Is it okay for me to get some tetras or guppies or is the tank too small? My lil' guy seems very bored alone in the tank ^^
moniibettalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #2 
BlueHaven

Um, it's close to 10 gallons, but still it may not be enough.
You could add snails, there are several different types.
Same for shrimp, cherry shrimp are really cute, so are ghost shrimp!
There are other types of shrimp too, like the blue tiger. I am unsure if it's care is the same as the other though.
Here is info on all the different types:
http://www.planetinverts.com/Blue%20Tiger%20Shrimp.html

:)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #3 
DarkMoon17

You need at least 10 gallons to keep any other type of fish with your betta. In a 7 gallon you could get him some little shrimp friends or a snail like BlueHaven suggested :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #4 
moniibettalover

Okay . Shrimps it is then :) By the way i love your avatar pic DarkMoon17 ^^ he's lush
moniibettalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #5 
falconboy99

Up to three extra fish.
falconboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #6 
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconboy99 View Post
Up to three extra fish.

eh......no I would think the members who have been on here longer know better . What I meant to say was it isn't right for you to say three extra fish are ok! Especially after two other members have said its not ok the majority of the people said no way. Which means I think the thread starter would take the majority and then make his/her decision.

(My 7 gallons tank seems very empty :/ the only fish in it is my male betta Ryan. Is it okay for me to get some tetras or guppies or is the tank too small? My lil' guy seems very bored alone in the tank)

From my best judgment I'd say a mystery snail or two would be really good for your tank. I would start to worry if you got ghost shrimp because sometimes they aren't the best tankmates and will nip at the bettas fins sometimes resulting fataly .
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

Thank you moniibettalover :)

Ethan does have a point though. I've never had trouble with ghost shrimp but some people on the forum have. There are other more peaceful types, like Cherry Shrimp that are better to keep with bettas than others. If you do get ghost shrimp, which are the cheapest shrimp, make sure you keep them well fed. You should make sure you have 3+ too since they are social.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

Yep Ghosties can be kinda grabby when underfed. And the can be cannibalistic if there's more than one and they're underfed. Make sure they get a small portion of an algae wafer a few times a day. =] And make sure to cup your betta when you feed your shimp as bettas seem to really like algae waffer. They'll get really bloated that way. XD

And let's not shame Falconboy99 for his differing opinion please. That's a bit rude. If they divided their 7 gallon they could fit at least one more fish in.

If it was very heavily planted with lots of fast growing stems, high light, nutritious substrate, lots of testing to keep up with your water parameters and water changes accordingly then they could actually get away with a few guppies.

Looking at monibetta's past posts though it seems like they have an unplanted tank. So their best bet would be to get something with a relatively small and predictable bioload like shrimp.

So mooni have you finished cycling your tank yet? because if you haven't finished cycling then you're going to have to wait till after you've cycled to get some tankmates anyway. :/

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 05-16-2011 at 11:52 AM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

Shrimp are cute. At first I was kinda "meh" now I love my little shrimp..I only have one right now..but I would love to get more..I plan on doing a major redecorating so I don't want to go and buy more and have to net them out later when I go to redecorate...
Most people here are suggesting not to get any fish tankmates I believe because you may run into problems with territorial behavior..Tetras especially can become nippers when kept in small numbers and in not enough space...Bettas can get quite aggressive to other tankmates when in smaller tanks as well...but 7 gallons should be perfect for shrimp and snails...I would even think maybe a small group of dwarf corydoras...but I am not sure on that one...

Like mentioned above though...you will want to cycle you tank first...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

If they could get a hold of the dwarf corries (do they even sell dwarfs in stores? I hope they do! I want some! <3) and their tank was really well planted like I said earlier then yeah the corries would be doable.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote