Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #1 
DarkMoon17

Interesting Situation: 3 males together peacefully...

Right so before you eat my head off, it was an accident, they have now been separated and you should not try this at home!

So, I just got home after a 2 day drive from Missouri to Massachusetts with ALL my animals: 16 bettas, 1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Water Dragon, 1 FAT cat, and 2, 4" goldfish. I was pretty proud about getting 1 30 gallon and 5 10 gallons into my Camry lol. We didn't get home until 9:00 last night. I was sooo tired but of course, all the animals need to be set up before I can go to bed! To my dismay I found that my dividers don't fit in the 20 gallon long (duh) I had planned to house my 5 male bettas and 2 unsocial females in. So I broke out my "betta barracks" which I HATE and don't suggest anyone ever uses... and placed the 5 males in those for the night and allowed the 2 females to get free range of the 20 gallon. I floated live plants so they covered the entire surface of the tank, ran a strong filter and heater.

I woke up this morning to 3 of the 5 males escaped from the barracks (surprise surprise) but completely at peace with one another in the well planted 20 gallon tank with the 2 girls... I was absolutely astounded. I'm not sure how long they were together but there were no torn fins aside from a nip on one of the girls. The males just flared at each other when they passed by and then continued on their way... Very interesting.

I believe their peacefulness was due to the way they were kept previously in a divided 10 gallon tank. All 3 that escaped had been housed right next to each other in full view of one another for almost 3 weeks and must have come to accept one another's presence to the point that they were no longer violently aggressive towards one another. Two had also come from the same breeder and all 3 were the same size/age. Of course, if I had left them together any longer I'm sure they would have begun fighting over the girls. I'm so glad Apoc didn't manage to escape his or the other escapees would have been in trouble, he's an extremely aggressive guy.

Just fwi, don't spend good money on those betta barracks, they fall down constantly, and are way too small to house bettas for more than a day or two. I have had the same exact thing happen in the past and have lost bettas or had very chewed out fins. It just isn't worth it!

I'll repeat, don't ever house males together!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #2 
SashimiBetta

May I suggest a petsitter... HAHA!

Wow, you brought all those animals. Fascinating.
SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #3 
kathstew

That is so interesting. That is amazing that you were able to move all those animals!
When I started my sorority, the two girls that were in a divided tank together fought the least. They would actually swim next to each other, and they would protect each other from the new girls.

It really is too bad you can't keep males together, it would look so pretty with their colorful tails.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #4 
BlueHaven

That's cool!
It's always neat to find animals that don't usually get along to be just fine together.
But there is a chance they could still fight randomly.
It is a huge tank, so they had plenty of space to get away from eachother.
Maybe they were too happy exploring.
haha

I don't disregard the fact that it is possible they can live together, but it's not that common!
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

I know right, I usually have a petsitter come take care of all my guys when I'm not home but this is summer vacation from college so I bring them all home with me :) I've made this trip 4 times now and haven't lost anyone, my parents however killed some within the first day of the trip the one time I wasn't with them!

kathstew: I wish my girls were more like that. I need to separate my 2 pretty soon since the poor black copper one is ALWAYS stressed. She is just really afraid of other fish for some reason (even peaceful ones...). The ones in the sorority are all pretty peaceful though, which I'm thankful for.

I think I just got really lucky that 1) all the fish knew each other 2) I had decided to fill the tank with plants 3) there were girls in the tank 4) as BlueHaven suggested, after being in a bag for 48 hours they were probably just really happy to have space again!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote