Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #1 
thissideofparadise

something up with my bettas tail?

his tail looks like its getting torn. it looks like its been sliced or something, i have a picture i took of it.

and its got some weird twisty thing going on too. any info on what might be up would be helpful :\
thissideofparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:43 PM   #2 
inkrealm

what are the tank conditions? it looks like fin rot to me...... what size is it, what's in it, is it heated, is it filtered, is it cycled, how often and how much do you change the water, what water do you use, do you treat it, with what do you treat it, do you follow the instructions on the bottle, and do you test the water levels and if so what are they?
also does it have a strong current if it's filtered, and are those plastic plants? P:
that also looks like a bowl ><; does he live in a bowl?
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #3 
youlovegnats

It looks like her just tore it on something...tail-biting perhaps? That DOES look like a bowl...small swimming spaces can cause bettas to become bored = tail biting.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 AM   #4 
pens

That plastic plant looks really sharp on the poorly-cut edges, and the cuts on your fish's caudal don't look like it was self-inflicted (fish jaws are protrusible and create a vacuum effect to aid in prey capture, bites on the caudal fin would probably be triangular in shape). Coupled with the small bowl your betta appears to reside in, I would hazard a guess that he has to go through a plastic iron-maiden every time he swims half a body-length. A small bowl is fine with water changes, but you should probably remove the plant.
pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #5 
youlovegnats

hmmm, that does seem to be the case now that I take a second look.
Get a silk plant instead. Or better yet, A nice 2.5 gal tank!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #6 
thissideofparadise

oh okay so you guys dont think its fin rot? it honestly looks like it got sliced or something and they get deeper and bigger everyday :\ it makes me really nervous. i think i will get a bigger tank and some nice soft plants. do you know where i could get them?
thissideofparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #7 
youlovegnats

yeah, get a nice 2.5+ gallon tank and some silk plants. You can get those things at practically any petstore. I really like the 2.5 minibows. They're nice. Also get a heater if you don't already have one. Bettas are tropical fish (though they're kept in cups at petstores) and they need warm temps. like tetras and other tropical fish.

Tags
betta fish