Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #1 
DexMom

Fin Nipping

I bought a pair of bettas ( 1 female and 1 male ) to start my 36 gal community tank. No other fish in there as yet. The male is very shy and the female is all over the place. Anyway, in just 3 days alot of his fin are destroyed. I never see her picking on him, but she has to be. So, tomorrow, she is coming out or him, haven't figured out which one yet. My question is------don't laugh, honesty want to know------Is this destruction permanent? He was such a beauty. Thanks in advance
DexMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:45 AM   #2 
Sakura8

No, don't worry. :) Once she stops picking on him, or in the event that he was biting his own fins, those beautiful, flowing fins will grow back. Changing the water frequently and adding API Stress Coat will help. Also, I've been told feeding a high protein diet will speed things along too. There may be a bit of discoloration but they will grow back as long as he's not stressed.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #3 
DexMom

Thank you so much. It eases my mind to know he will be pretty again.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Males and females cannot be housed together. Once you separate them his fins will regrow. Keep up with water quality to prevent infection.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #5 
bettafish15

Yes, as said, even in that size tank, males and females cannot be kept together. She will continue nipping his fins, he'll fight back one day, and you end up with one or both of them dead. We're serious here.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #6 
gbose

Dexmom,

I agree with 1fish2fish and bettafish15. I wanted to keep a pair of bettas but every site I went to warned against it -- they'll kill each other. Keep them in separate tanks. If she's the aggressive one, maybe you should isolate her in a tank of her own, while trying him in the community tank. Be very careful about what other fish to put in though.

Good luck!

GB

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #7 
DexMom

OK, so I moved the female Betta out of the community tank. That leaves the male and 1 Pleco in there. They will be sharing this tank with Rainbows.