Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #1 
Luimeril

Unhappy D: OH NO! Chappy!

so, Chappy, the HMPK dragon/marble i raised from a month-old fry, has been kinda down lately. she's not been nearly as active as she usually is, preferring to hide in her plants than swim about. i thought it was Cup stressing her, since their tanks are next to each other and i realized the DVD separating them was moved over a bit. i pulled her tank out from it's corner to examine her(a common thing for me to do), and i saw...... something. it's clearish-white(my eyes are pretty bad, so probably white), but i can't tell if it's ick, or something far more sinister. i can't get photos, because my camera's horrid, and out of batteries, but i still need help! should i treat her with the ick meds i have, or what? D: Chappy's my baby, the only living creature i've ever got to raise from a baby by myself, and she means more to me than any of my bettas(she's on par with how much Ichi means to me). i did a 100% water change just now, and moved her plants about to give her a place to hide away from. but... i don't know what to do from here. i don't want to treat her with meds she doesn't need, but i can't tell if it's ick, columnaris, or something else on her. should i treat her with aquarium salt? it's...... all i have, other than ick meds, and parasite meds.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Poor little girl.....needs some more information....

What size is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, type of past treatments if any, appetite and amount/type of food....how long has she been lethargic and did the water change help any.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #3 
Luimeril

2 gallon Kritter Keeper.

i change 50% and 100% a week, Monday and Thursday.

i'll admit to having no heater. i know it's bad, but it broke. >.>; and i've been unable to replace it.

no filter. just a clump of Java moss. i'm on well water, and have never really needed to use anything in the tank because of it. she's never been sick, the whole year i've had her(on the 4th of July, it'll have been a year). she still eats really well, and i use a mixture of food i got from 1fish2fish. it's mostly NLS Grow pellets. she's been lethargic the past few days, and i've had her floating since i posted this journal. i'm gonna let her out now, though.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #4 
Luimeril

finished Chappy's water change. she's not clamped anymore, and actually greets me, but still would rather lay about in the plants than swim around. D: i still can't tell if she has the flecks, or whatever they are/were, nor what they are/were.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Have you checked your water temp.....

I would keep up with some daily 50% water changes for a few days and watch her for now....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #6 
Luimeril

she's bright and alert today. o____o she swam up to greet me, wiggled her little body so much. she's not clamped. >.> could it be the storms we've been having? it's like.... it rains daily, and storms every other day.