Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #1 
PrettyFish

Question Please take a look at my breeding tank set up

I finally gathered all of the necessary equipment and KNOWLEDGE to feel comfortable and fairly confident in pursuing this new endeavor. I'm constantly learning more, even after owning bettas for 7 years.
This will be my first time breeding. I just set up the tank this afternoon, it's a 10 gallon tank just over halfway full with an automatic heater, rocks and a few artificial plants. About an inch of gravel on the bottom and a makeshift cover from an old tank. I conditioned the water with Start Right, and in 24 hours I'll test the PH, etc.
I was planning on putting half of a styrofoam cup on top for my male to build his bubble nest. Any other suggestions are welcomed with arms wide open!

Please take a look and let me know if anything needs to change/be added. I want to make this breeding as straightforward, comfortable, and above all, SAFE, for both of my dear fish.

Thanks tons!
Rebecca
PrettyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would cram it full of live plants, fill it to the top with water and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to maintain a warm humid environment for the nest and for the fry as they develop their labyrinth organ.....by adding live plants and some common snails-they will help produce microorganism for first fry food, live plants provide cover for the female and a great natural divider to prevent premature egg drops, live plants also will provide a natural location for the nest and cover for the fry, full to the top with water help to prevent accidental nest disruption and eggs/fry falling and more volume for safety, stability and water quality...you may also want to cover the back and even the sides with something to help them feel more secure and tannins from either IAL or dried Oak leaf.......

Love to see pic of your breeders and hear more about your breeding plan.....it can be rewarding rearing your own Bettas...and lots of fun.....just witnessing the spawning act is really awesome to watch....

What are your feeding plans for conditioning and fry rearing......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #3 
squal90

beautiful set up ! ... im not an expert but i think you should take the gravel out of the tank, that would prevent the eggs of getting lost. i mean, i dont know. as i said before, im not an expert. but i did a little but of research. correct me if im wrong oldladyfish lol

Last edited by squal90; 05-16-2011 at 06:18 PM.
squal90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

with first time breeding....it can be easier to use a bare bottom tank....but generally if the gravel is small in diameter it will not be problematic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #5 
mernincrazy8525

many breeders are succesful with their own method of tank setup and i completly agree with oldfishlady cram the tank with plants, but i also agree with squal and you you should remove the gravel. That is just how i breed my bettas. and what do you plan to feed the fry. have you conditioned the pair and backup pair. post pics of them. and do you have at least two males and two females just in case they are bad breeders. where did you get your fish? just curious so i can help you.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #6 
PitGurl

Is that a Tetra heater? If it is I would recommned getting a better brand. They are very unreliable. You may lose your spawn if the thing goes wacky on you.

I would also remove the gravel and add some live plants.

Good luck!
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #7 
mernincrazy8525

Quote:
Is that a Tetra heater? If it is I would recommned getting a better brand. They are very unreliable. You may lose your spawn if the thing goes wacky on you.
didnt notice that, but been there done that. thanks for looking that hard. they could have lost there poor fry.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

Yeah you def want an adjustble heater that gets to 84 deg plus. Its essential that the temp remains stable so spend the exta cash and get a good one. I'll also suggest more plants.. The more the better
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote