Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2011, 03:07 AM   #1 
Sakura8

Two Questions About Equipment

First, does anyone know why the liquid tests are considered more accurate than the strip tests? Sometimes I'm not so sure I'm any more accurate with the drop test because I have such a hard time matching the colors.

Secondly, and boy do I feel dumb asking this, but I'm thinking of using a sponge filter in my quarantine tank. So is it hooked up to an air pump or a powerhead or what? How do these things work? I just know I want something small but still efficient and a sponge filter will work nicely. If I can figure out HOW it will work. Thanks in advance.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:16 AM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

for the first one the test itself is much more accurate but you're right there is definitely room for user error. I feel the same sometimes.

For the quarantine ther's really no point in putting a sponge filter into a quarantinve tank because the only way I could see it "helping" is if it was already seeded with beneficial bacteria. And even then since you have to do 100% changes in a quarantine tank anyway it just wouldn't work out.

The only thing it would do would be to agitate the water and surface unnecessarily.

If you're wanting to cycle a non-quarantine tank however: if it's really small, and you have all the materials already then you might as well make one.

You can use a power head if you have a large aquarium and really fine pored foam.

Most people use airpumps for smaller ones though.

But again you shouldn't be putting one in your quarantine tank unless your tank is 2.5 gallons and you can somehow seed the sponge you plan to use relatively quickly.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:22 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Ah. I should've mentioned that I'm trying to SET UP my quarantine tank and that's why I wanted to get the sponge filter started now. Sorry, I should've been more specific.

Do I just hook the sponge filter up to the air pump then and let it go (using, of course, the appropriate biological medium for cycling)? Does the air pump sit outside the tank?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

Sakura, I have a home-made sponge filter on my tank. There are pictures of it on my thread here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=70489

The air pump is outside the tank, and should never get wet. There are actually valves that can be put on the tubing that protects the air pump from water. Good luck!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

How big is your quarantine tank?

I still think a filter in a quarantine tank is unnecessary as the point of a filter is to cycle a tank and you can't cycle quarantine tanks because you're supposed to do multiple large water changes which would kill your cycle.

A filter won't help you to clean the quarantine less unless the quarantine is a cycled 5 gallon.

And a cycled 5 gallon would not make a good quarantine as you'd only do partial changes and in a quarantine you want to water to be as clean as possible.

Idk I'm probably misinterpreting your comment or something. If I am I'm sorry. <3
\
Wait do you mean that you're setting up a nano (small) tank? And that it will not be used as a hospital (quarantine) tank but rather as a permanent home?

If so then the sponge filter is an awesome idea. I just don't see the point of a sponge filter in a hospital tank.

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 05-16-2011 at 01:12 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #6 
kathstew

I don't think there is any point in having a filter in a quarentine tank. The point of the quarentine tank is 1. to keep the fish isolated from other fish that could get sick and 2. make for easier cleaning/treatment.

Most, if not all, treatments need daily water changes. In a small bowl or tank its easier to change 100% of the water, than it is to change the water in say a filtered 5 gallon tank. The medications usually need to restocked every day during treatment. Example: the med is 1tsp a gallon. The quarentine tank is 1 gallon. You need to do a 100% change everyday and add that whole 1tsp. If you did a 50% you wouldn't know exactly how much meds is still in the water, which is important if you don't want to overdose or underdose.

From what I gather, most people usually get a small container for quarentine and float it in there heated, larger tanks. It isolates the water with the meds from the rest of the tank, but still allows the fish to be heated during treatment.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Hahaha, okay so now I know how a sponge filter works thanks to Kytkattin, but now I'm confused about everything else!

Uhm . . . okay, so I've heard that when adding new additions to a community tank, it's best to quarantine them for at least a week or preferably a month to see if they have any diseases from the fish store. This prevents the diseases from wiping out your entire tank. So I'm hoping to add some new tankmates for my betta but I need to set up a quarantine tank and that's where the sponge filter comes in. Since it's best to add a few fish at a time to minimize stress, the quarantine tank would probably be in use almost continuously for a while at least and that's why I wanted it filtered. Later, it will serve as the hospital tank if needed (but hopefully never needed).

Uhm, did I make better sense this time? (This is what I get for writing posts at 1:30 in the morning.)
Old 05-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #8 
kathstew

Hahaha, I get it now. LOL. It still might be better not to have the filter. I'm not sure, I've never had the need to quarentine any of my fishies before, because they are all in their own tanks, except for the girls and I got them almost all at the same time....
So take this with a grain of sand (or whatever that saying is, lol): You may not want a filter, so you can change that water often for those in quarentine, so if they do have something, it can be minimized.

I'm not positive at all though, so maybe get someone else's input. I think a month in quarentine is a little overkill though.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Yeah, I think a month is too much also. I'm thinking a week or two. Haha, that's the nice thing about bettas: by nature, they're self-quarantining. But since I want some different non-betta fish and I don't want to get my betta sick, I think I'll quarantine.