Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #1 
SilverMagic

Opinions on Petco bettas

Do you believe Petco bettas are adequately cared for? Their care routine is they change thei cups water 3 times per week and feed them 3 times per week. I know they can go a while without food, it is the water change schedule that concerns me. Also what happens if noone buys them?
SilverMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #2 
TonyK

Of the big box stores in my area I think Petco has the healthiest looking Bettas. Plus, they seem to have a better variety.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #3 
pumpkinspikepie

Honestly it always depends on the specific franchise. I got my first guy from a Petco and their bettas looked pretty good, but at a different Petco closer to where I live, their care seems subpar.
pumpkinspikepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #4 
luluo

I agree that it depends on the store and in all honesty, the week.

The petco that I've been saying takes great care of their bettas really disappointed me last weekend. Knowing retail, maybe the person in charge of the fish was on vacation or something. The big box stores just do not seem to be able to be consistent in their care of the fish and it is sad. The other fish looked good, but of course they're in larger tanks and would probably suffer less with a few days of neglect.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Tht's a good question as to what happens to the bettas who aren't sold very quickly. And I guess it would be somewhat impractical to change thirty little cups every day but still . . . I took a look at my Petco yesterday and the water hadn't been changed. Almost walked away with a cute little purple female but I have *sob* nowhere to put her.

I've seen these nice little "betta condos" that are clear plastic divided up like little stalls. There are holes in each divider so the water flows through, meaning you could easily change the water for six or seven bettas at a time. Maybe Petco should consider a setup like that.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Google "betta condo." It should come under "images for betta condo."
Old 05-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #7 
SilverMagic

I got my betta from Petco and he's healthy. I'm just wondering if in the future we would be wise to discourage ourselves from buying pet store bettas and look for better places to buy them such as high quality aquarium stores, places that give them optimal care, not substandard care. I mean in a tiny cup, not even big enough to drink your tea, changing the water 3 times a week is not enough. I'm just wondering if we may be unknowingly encouraging pet store abuse. Also sad is that the majority of their buyers will be children keeping them in pathetic critter keepers and not taking very good care of their "toys" which they are not. It seems a better place wouldn't sell a pathetic novelty container for a betta in the first place. I know Petco is not nearly as bad as Wallmart but their level of care does seem limited when it comes to bettas. Although they've improved somewhat. Only a few years ago a Petco employee said you can keep them in vases with roots to nibble.

So if someone could start a thread titled "Top 10 places to buy quality, well cared for betta fish" so we could take notes that would be great!
SilverMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Or we could look at it as rescuing the more unfortunate bettas. Plus, the two LFS that I've been to in my area didn't really take any better care of their bettas. On store had a few in a betta condo and a few more males in some guppy and platy tanks. The other LFS had them in the same small cups with the blue water they use at my local Petsmart. As for Walmart . . . I don't know if they ever sell the bettas they have at mine. I think the poor things just die.

What would be better, I think, is to start a campaign for petstore employees to be better educated about bettas. Let's face it, these big-box stores will keep selling bettas no matter what. Even if we, the conscientious fish owners, don't buy them, plenty of others will scoop them up on a mistaken whim, thinking the fish can live in vases with roots to nibble. But if we encourage our petstores to train their employees to ask, "Have you ever owned a betta before?" and to teach people about them before they buy, I think we'd be doing a lot more good than boycotting the stores.

And SilverMagic, I think the best place to get quality, well-cared for bettas is from a breeder. But also remember, a breeder will most likely give great care to their bettas whether they are able to sell them or not. It's the same dilemma we face with our furry pets: get a dog or cat from someone who breeds them and will love them even if they can't sell them, or adopt a pet from a shelter where they are in tiny cages awaiting their deaths.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #9 
luluo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Or we could look at it as rescuing the more unfortunate bettas. Plus, the two LFS that I've been to in my area didn't really take any better care of their bettas. On store had a few in a betta condo and a few more males in some guppy and platy tanks. The other LFS had them in the same small cups with the blue water they use at my local Petsmart. As for Walmart . . . I don't know if they ever sell the bettas they have at mine. I think the poor things just die.

What would be better, I think, is to start a campaign for petstore employees to be better educated about bettas. Let's face it, these big-box stores will keep selling bettas no matter what. Even if we, the conscientious fish owners, don't buy them, plenty of others will scoop them up on a mistaken whim, thinking the fish can live in vases with roots to nibble. But if we encourage our petstores to train their employees to ask, "Have you ever owned a betta before?" and to teach people about them before they buy, I think we'd be doing a lot more good than boycotting the stores.

And SilverMagic, I think the best place to get quality, well-cared for bettas is from a breeder. But also remember, a breeder will most likely give great care to their bettas whether they are able to sell them or not. It's the same dilemma we face with our furry pets: get a dog or cat from someone who breeds them and will love them even if they can't sell them, or adopt a pet from a shelter where they are in tiny cages awaiting their deaths.
Before I say anything, I did buy D'Argo from a Petco and I agree that education and petitioning the stores for better conditions is the way to go because conditions vary so much. But your comparison of the dogs/cats is a bit off the mark. Shelters take in unwanted animals and adopting from them saves lives. Adopting from a shelter does not perpetuate cruelty. Buying a dog from a "breeder" (term used loosely) can often mean buying from a puppy mill in which case the purchase of that dog or cat is perpetuating the cruelty for many more generations of dogs and cats. So while that one dog or cat is "rescued", the cruelty goes on.

I understand what people mean when they "rescue" bettas from places like petsmart/walmart/petco but I don't agree with using that term because in buying from there we are not giving the stores any incentive to change. They are making their money. Getting an unwanted betta from a craigslist ad or a true rescue group is a rescue.

I shopped around for D'Argo. I was pleased with what I saw in the Petco where I purchased him. I was very disappointed in the condition of their bettas last weekend. There should be consistency. My own purchase of D'Argo has perpetuated the cruelty and for that I feel terrible.

I agree that buying from a fish breeder may be a better choice, but it may not be. You'd have to ask to see the conditions the fish are living in. Not all breeders love the animals they breed and treat them with great care.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Luluo, you raise valid points. There are plenty of "breeders" of furry animals who are uncaring and cruel and just churn out their puppies and kittens by the dozens. But I think and hope those are in the minority so let's say for the sake of the argument that we mean only the good breeders. Furthermore, I'll say I was unspecific in my comparison. I suppose what I'm really looking at most are the similar conditions that shelter animals and petstore bettas must live in: cramped and dirty.

Again, you raise a valid point in saying that our purchases don't offer the stores any incentive to change. But again, I also say that, sadly, we the conscientious fish owners are in the minority. I can't tell you how many times I've been in my local Petco or Petsmart and heard people passing by exclaiming, "Oh, I want a betta!" And off they go with their little bowls, no heater or filter and their betta who may or may not be better off than he was before, depending on how you look at his situation. On the other hand, the number of times I've been there and seen someone buy a betta with a heater and a nice tank are . . . zero. The number of times an employee has spoken about the care of a betta to a prospective buyer are . . . zero. And let me tell you, I've spent an abnormal amount of time at my local petstores lately getting supplies for my betta and eight cats. My point being, again, that unless we start picketing or something, petstores will continue to buy and sell betta regardless of whether or not we buy them. So is it not better (for lack of a better term) if, for every ten bettas sold by these places, at least one of them can go to a home where the person knows how to properly take care if it?

In the end, though, it's up to each one of us to make that individual call when faced with bringing home a new betta.

By the way, I'm just joking about the picketing thing. I think.