Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #11 
naturegirl243

I love our petco I'm a regular there and I'm friends with some of the employes there, alot of the guys that work there have bettas and know about them they always have clean cups and if there is a dead one(which happens) they get the cup out of there ASAP and they put some of there VT's in comunity tanks with neons and platys and probably other fish I just can't think if them right now.I will say since there are so many petcos they can't all possibly be as good as mine I'm sure there are bad ones out there.But all and all I have seen alot more petcos take way better care of there bettas on average compared to petsmart.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #12 
inkrealm

if no-one buys them I highly suspect they just die :/ Petco sounds like it takes better care of them than most places... most of Pet Smart's are getting ill, some are pretty bad, most of the time not, but definitely beginning, and Wal-Mart's..... well :/ </3
other than a small chain store we have here owned by a guy who makes a point to keep every species as a pet first before selling it so that he knows how to actually take care of them, I think Petco is probably the best, though it's not great either.
I'm hoping once I get through the basics learning how to care for my first buddy I'll be able to slowly get some less-expensive but still nice critter holders, the larger ones, ( as I can't afford a bunch of full glass setups right now ) and modify them to standards ofcourse, and adopt a few more and nurse them back to health. but I'd love to get involved in petitions and educating for better treatment of them.... there are so many better ways to keep them, and they really don't need to keep them in-bulk as if they're an item... choices are nice so you can find the personality that clicks with you, but I wouldn't compromise their health for this. :/ and they could use condos or keep fewer and divide some large AQ tanks, at least SOMETHING.
I can't agree with boy-cotting because then the fish already there would sit and rot, literally D: most of them won't be humane enough to send them back or find safe homes. they could make laws though the way they do for dogs and cats and such, the same way you can report them for the death of puppies in pet stores and such you could report them for fish. they're small but they're living too and they deserve to be treated like an intelligent creature with personality and memory and feeling of pain and everything else. :/
they are a living creature and it is abuse and neglect no matter how tiny the receiver of it is. <3
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #13 
TonyK

I would love to purchase from a breeder but, how does someone like me (very little knowledge of Betta breeders) go about finding a good breeder.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #14 
BeccaBoo

I'll admit, I bought 2 of my 3 bettas from my local Petco and I've been very happy with them. They're beautiful and healthy boys!

I can't speak for all Petcos but the one I shop at seems to take very good care of their bettas. The cups they're stored in are bigger than the ones at Petsmart and Wal-Mart and they keep them on shelves that have the cups divided so the bettas can't see each other and stress out, and it also prevents people form stacking the cups on top of each other. They even have a neat set up where they have a betta or two in their own tank with an ADF or ghost shrimp and live plants.

I have seen bettas that have been there for 2 or 3 weeks but their water always seems fresh when I come back and the betta still looks healthy. Of course there have been a few times that I have seen sick bettas but I think that's something that can't be helped, some fish are just going to get sick.

Of course I don't want to support a store that doesn't properly take care of their fish (that's why I refuse to buy fish form Wal-Mart no matter how much I want to save those little fish) but as another poster stated, it isn't easy for some of us to find a reputable breeder in our area. And as beautiful and healthy as some of the fish are on Aquabid, it just seems too hard sometimes to justify spending 50+ dollars on a fish (especially in these economic times).

So I can't say that I support Petco in general, but I do support the one in my area because they seem to really try to take care of their fish.

Here are a couple of pics of the "Petco boys", my DeT Rambo and my HM Dutch.

Rambo

Dutch
BeccaBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:41 AM   #15 
MelissaD

Walking through most pet stores can be a very stressful experience for betta lovers as they are very rarely adequately taken care of, the lack of space and the quality of the water being the biggest problems. Try to only support pet stores that promote good and humane care of betta fish. As for Petco, depends on the franchisee.
MelissaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:22 AM   #16 
copperarabian

I think they can have a great selection, and generally look healthy. but like other people said it definitely depends on which petco, as well as who the employs are
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #17 
Genin

The Petco by me fluctuates. Both of my bettas were bought from them (Petco in Buckhorn, PA). They carry some nice bettas and many of them. For the most part they take decent care and the bettas seem to be doing well, but once in a while you will go in and see 4 dead ones, some with almost no water, or water full of poo etc. My last betta I bought from them was on the bottom shelf, most likely forgotten about and had like a quarter cup full of water in there and it was filled with his own slime coat and poo. I was able to use that he was in such yucky condition to get him half off (try it, you'll be suprised at how easy it is to haggle big chain stores). FYI, he's doing great in my office now :). I'd say buy from Petco with confidence they tend to be the best around for betta care as far as large chain stores go.
Genin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #18 
SilverMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genin View Post
The Petco by me fluctuates. Both of my bettas were bought from them (Petco in Buckhorn, PA). They carry some nice bettas and many of them. For the most part they take decent care and the bettas seem to be doing well, but once in a while you will go in and see 4 dead ones, some with almost no water, or water full of poo etc. My last betta I bought from them was on the bottom shelf, most likely forgotten about and had like a quarter cup full of water in there and it was filled with his own slime coat and poo. I was able to use that he was in such yucky condition to get him half off (try it, you'll be suprised at how easy it is to haggle big chain stores). FYI, he's doing great in my office now :). I'd say buy from Petco with confidence they tend to be the best around for betta care as far as large chain stores go.
Do you have a picture of the betta you rescued?
SilverMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #19 
scootshoot

All comes down to individual Petco's. Does the manager at each store advise the employees on required maintenance? If so, does he periodically check and enforce routine care is being performed........

By my place of residence there is a Petco, Petsmart and a private owned Fish dealer, out of the 3, Petco is by far the best place to go for betta's both in terms of variety and healthy looking specimens.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #20 
ectangelo

I bought my red veiltail from PetCo, and although I've only had him 3 days, he seems to be doing well. My local PetCo I'd say is in between good and bad. It's not like PetSmart and Walmart, where most of the bettas are dead or dying. There were several nice bettas there, including many red VTs (one of which I bought) and a really pretty blue HM (I almost bought him but the red one had more SPUNK!). The rest either weren't swimming much, had fin rot, were dead, etc. One had swim bladder disease. It makes me sad, because they had probably about 60 bettas! But for chain stores, definately go here. They had nicer bettas than many of my LFS.
ectangelo is offline   Reply With Quote