Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 01:42 AM   #1 
skywillig

male betta not reacting to movement

I own two male bettas, separate 3L tanks for nine months.
One of them died five hours ago from hidropsy. I noticed him getting bulky one day, talked to a friend of mine that breeds bettas on the other day (yesterday) and he advised me to euthanize my fish. I did not, just leaving him alone, and he passed in less than 30 hours.

This other fish I'm left with has always been treated exactly the same, is kept on the same water, is fed the same food at the same time. I have been noticing he hasn't been very active. Eats fine (the other one didn't for a day before he started bulking), but doesn't swim around. Stays on top of the water always on the left side. I tried exposing him to a mirror to see his reaction and.. there was none for at least 3 minutes, then he just moved to the other side of the aquarium. I chased him with the mirror, he took a while again to react, just going back to where he was.

I'm really worried I might lose this other fish, but I'm not an expert on the subject or anything. I just kept these two. The only fish supplies I have are the water conditioner and an anti-protozoary anti-bacteria medicine I once bought to fight off fin rot. The fish is fed with pellets, I have two different brands.

I have read he could just be constipated, but I still don't know what course of action I should take. The fish is a year old, and I've been told by my friend he has poor genetics (i bought him at a pet store for a dollar and a half)... could he just be getting old?
skywillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #2 
turtle10

Three 3 liters in less than one gallon, your bettas homes are way too small.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #3 
skywillig

I bought this tank as a betta-specific tank, I read a couple of times it was too small but when I asked my Betta-breeder friend he said anything over 2L would do, so I'm confused.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3L
What temperature is your tank? room temperature, I live in a tropical area and it's never cold here
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? i don't think so, I don't know what that is
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, 7 pellets a time (as recommended by the fish store

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 6 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? haven't

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? nothing
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is not as active as before
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a week or less
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? he's had fin rot, and his fins have never grown fully back (and the tips of the fins that grew are transparent)
How old is your fish (approximately)? i bought him 10 months ago, I can't be sure how old he was already
Old 02-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #4 
cjayBetta

14 pellets a day is wayyy to much.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #5 
LolaQuigs

You're feeding 14 pellets a day? That is way too much and might be why your first fish looked bloated. In such a small container you should be chang 100% of the water at least every other day, if not every day. But really I would look into getting a larger tank if I were you. It's so hard to keep the water quality good in such a tiny container.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #6 
Cravenne

14 pellets a day with a 100% water change every 6 days, in a 1G tank is not good at all.

I would cut the feeding by at least half. 14 pellets is way too much! I'd also start doing daily water changes for a while and see if he perks up. Get a thermometer and make sure the temp is steady...

I have one of my boys in a 1.5G tank and I do 100% water changes every other day. Some might say that is excessive, but every 6 days is just not enough.

Those 'betta specific' tanks are generally completely inappropriate for most live animals. Your ammonia levels must be through the roof when it comes to water change day.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #7 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravenne View Post
14 pellets a day with a 100% water change every 6 days, in a 1G tank is not good at all.

I would cut the feeding by at least half. 14 pellets is way too much! I'd also start doing daily water changes for a while and see if he perks up. Get a thermometer and make sure the temp is steady...

I have one of my boys in a 1.5G tank and I do 100% water changes every other day. Some might say that is excessive, but every 6 days is just not enough.

Those 'betta specific' tanks are generally completely inappropriate for most live animals. Your ammonia levels must be through the roof when it comes to water change day.
It's not even a whole gallon :(

One gallon is about 3.6 liters, his is 3 liters.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #8 
skywillig

Okay, I'll increase water changes and decrease feeding.

The other fish really had hidropsy, he was all spiky. Plus I had him for a 10 months, if he was bloated from overeating wouldn't he had developed that before?
This is a picture of the fish 30 hours before dying (about 24 hours after he started bloating):

Is there anything else I should do besides cleaning more and feeding less?
Old 02-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #9 
skywillig

Also I can't afford to buy another, bigger thank right now.

How long does this fish still have? He's over a year old, and I don't plan on having any more fish after he passes, so a big tank would be a waste.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #10 
cjayBetta

He could have another 2-3 years in him with the proper set up.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote