Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #1 
ktrain13

Clear film on water surface. Help?

I got a 10 gallon Saturday and put my two males in it (separated of course). The kit came with API stress coat and stress zyme sample packs so I put those in. Less than 24 hours later I noticed a clear film on top of the water. I tried skimming it with a net and that didn't do anything. If I drag my finger around in the water it leaves a trail, but the film never really goes away. Any ideas what it is or how to get rid of it? I think it might be discourgaing my fish to eat. My bigger one will eat a pellet or two but that's it. My smaller one finally ate all of his for the first time today.
ktrain13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #2 
TonyK

Are you running a filter? I also have a divided 10 gallon. The side of the tank where the water pours into is fine and, the otherside has a film but I think its the water not circulating like it should. I thought about putting a real small filter on that side just to circulate the water.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #3 
ktrain13

Yes, I have a filter. The amount of film is about the same on both sides of the tank.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #4 
ktrain13

The filter was buffered (cause Aero is so small and on the filter side) so I took the buffer off for about 15 or 20 minutes today and it helped some but then the little guy can't swim :( Any other suggestions or will I just have to deal with the film until Aero gets bigger?