Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

The grass plant is mondo and will rot underwater...the other one looks like either a crypt or sword...its hard to tell......I would google and see if you can find one that looks like it or if you have any names that came with them-post that info....did they come in the plastic tubes......

You added extra conditioner to help with what??/ sorry I missed something...lol......was it for ammonia...if so...did you check your source water for ammonia...if 0ppm on the source water....make water changes for ammonia....I don't know much about that conditioner....check the label and if it also covers ammonia....your test may be showing ammonium and not ammonia....testing products can't tell the difference unless they are for that product itself.....are you using liquid reagent or strips btw...you may have posted that but I can't seem to find the answer...sorry.....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #12 
idolsandanchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The grass plant is mondo and will rot underwater...the other one looks like either a crypt or sword...its hard to tell......I would google and see if you can find one that looks like it or if you have any names that came with them-post that info....did they come in the plastic tubes......

You added extra conditioner to help with what??/ sorry I missed something...lol......was it for ammonia...if so...did you check your source water for ammonia...if 0ppm on the source water....make water changes for ammonia....I don't know much about that conditioner....check the label and if it also covers ammonia....your test may be showing ammonium and not ammonia....testing products can't tell the difference unless they are for that product itself.....are you using liquid reagent or strips btw...you may have posted that but I can't seem to find the answer...sorry.....lol.....
It's fine. haha The test kit is an old one from a couple years back. It's a liquid though. I believe it's Doc Welfish brand. And the conditioner is supposed to get ph to 7.0 and remove ammonia and other harmful water contaminates. I'll check the water itself though to see.
I put in extra conditioner just to see if it would help reduce the ammonia levels.
And the plants, yes they did come in little plastic tubes with wierd looking crystal stuff on the bottom.

EDIT: Test kit showed ammonia levels in the tap water to be little to none. It had a barely visible yellow coloring to it when I tested. Not really enough to match anything on the chart though.

Last edited by idolsandanchors; 05-18-2011 at 06:32 PM.
idolsandanchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Good, limited to zero ammonia in the source water....that makes things easier...lol......

If the conditioner covers ammonia too...then most likely you are seeing ammonium the harmless form of ammonia.

Got any names on the plastic plant containers you can post.....

Water changes before you add the Betta to be safe......
Old 05-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #14 
idolsandanchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Good, limited to zero ammonia in the source water....that makes things easier...lol......

If the conditioner covers ammonia too...then most likely you are seeing ammonium the harmless form of ammonia.

Got any names on the plastic plant containers you can post.....

Water changes before you add the Betta to be safe......
I threw the containers out. :( I wish the receipt said what they were. They were on sale so I got them because I figured they would grow fast. And I doubt I can take them back. The closest Petsmart is like an hour. However I have a petco like 20 mins away that I could go and possibly different plants from. Just sucks that I wasted like $10 on plants if I have to do away with them.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #15 
idolsandanchors

So today I did a 50% water change. The water is much clearer after the water change. I really hope this helps the ammonia. I hadn't done a test on the tank he's in now until today. But the one he is in now is 7.2 ph with no ammonia detected. If it still stays up in ammonia on the new tank I may take these plants out and make a trip to petco to get some different ones.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #16 
GalvatronX99

FYI, Petsmart has a 14 day guarantee on live animals and plants they sell. So yes, you can take the non-aquatic plants back.

I did the same thing actually, I believed the dweeb standing near the fish section when he told me Mondo Grass was fine completely submerged and bought it on an impulse. When I got home and did some research, I realized my mistake, my wife marched into Petsmart, told them off for me (God love her, don't tick her off lol), and exchanged the Mondo Grass for Anacharis. The anacharis is going nuts in my 10 gal and 1.5 gal. I actually took a two inch clipping from a semi-healthy anacharis a few weeks ago and threw it in my 1.5 gal just to see how it would do. It's now six inches long and green as can be.

Last edited by GalvatronX99; 05-20-2011 at 08:51 PM.
GalvatronX99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #17 
Wyvern

I would love to know how long it takes the grass to rot? Because I have a fair few in my goldfish tank and my brother has it in his tropical community tank. So far its been a month and mine is actually thriving and creating creepers. All I did was add a nail under the roots for extra iron to feed it. I found no dead leaves so far. And any that turn yellow I just cut off with scissors.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Check the roots and give them the sniff test......but if they are growing and sending out runners you may not have mondo grass....it may be E. tenellus, micro sword, val or sag of some type....but generally mondo grass will rot and die starting under the substrate and then the leaves start to turn yellow in about a month or so..more or less....also if you ever do 100% water changes and/or expose the roots to air at any time it will extend their life under water....mondo is a marginal plant that can live short term under water but they don't get true submersed leaves like true aquatic plants and will die long term submersion....
Old 05-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #19 
Wyvern

There you can see the short grass that i have. It looks exactly like the original posters pics.

And they are thriving. I did my gravel vac today and the roots are looking healthy and white (before I add any plants to my tanks I go over them with a fine tooth comb to make sure I remove all the dead leaves and roots). That is why I would love to know what it is called. Just very curious about it.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #20 
idolsandanchors

I'm still thinking of removing it. It's been over a week and the water still has ammonia. I've done 2 50% and 1 75% water change and it has helped a little but not too much at all. Ammonia is at .5, and ph is at 6.8.