Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #1 
Sakura8

What Betta Tankmate Eats Snails?

I somehow ended up with snails in my tank. They probably came in with the live plants I got from my Petsmart (their tanks are infested with snails). What kind of tankmate would eat snails but still get along with a male betta in a 10g? For the moment, I've only had two snails but I'd like to know in case the snails get out of control. Thanks!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The 10gal is not big enough for any of the snail eating fish along with the Betta....best way to control unwanted snails in any tank....manual removal...trap, bait, pick them out.....and then destroy and depose of them properly....never, ever.....release them in the wild....they can destroy the native ecosystem by either out-competing or introduction of pathogens that native don't have immunity against......

Its never a good idea to add other livestock to control a problem in the tank...unless you like it and want it to start with and can meet their needs......in a closed system its the hobbyist job to clean and remove anything unwanted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Okidoki, thanks for the advice! Don't worry, I'd never release anything into the wild. I live in a part of CA where we are already having problems with non-native pike disrupting a local lake, so I'm definitely aware of the consequences of irresponsible disposal of pets/plants/pests. Sure wish others were, too. Thanks. :)
Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #4 
Tomsk

If your snail population gets a bit too high,as well as manually removing them you could also get an Assassin snail (Clea Helena) or two to help lower the population.

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #5 
gmd1800

I know that some users on this forum will feed unwanted snails to their bettas. Just take them out of their shells, squish them or take them apart, and feed them piece by piece to the bettas. Delicious!
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Uhm . . . eww. I think my betta will have to forgo the wonderful treat of snail . . . mush. He's lucky I can handle the bloodworms. ;) But thanks for the suggestions. I've been manually removing the little buggers so far. Who knows how many there may be, but so far I've removed two when I saw them crawling up the glass. They were still itty bitty though.