Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #1 
Sakura8

Downsizing?

My guy is currently all alone in a 10g tank and he seems quite happy. But I'd like to fill up the tank soon and since I'd like to get several Dwarf Croaking Gourami or cherry barbs (my guy is red so he wouldn't like the cherry barbs), I was thinking about moving my guy to a much smaller tank of his own and turning the 10g into my community tank. But . . . do you think he might get upset at the downsize? He really seems to enjoy the 10g and ideally I'd put him in one of his own but I barely have room for one 10g as it is. When I say much smaller, I guess I mean 5g or under.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #2 
Erin8D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
My guy is currently all alone in a 10g tank and he seems quite happy. But I'd like to fill up the tank soon and since I'd like to get several Dwarf Croaking Gourami or cherry barbs (my guy is red so he wouldn't like the cherry barbs), I was thinking about moving my guy to a much smaller tank of his own and turning the 10g into my community tank. But . . . do you think he might get upset at the downsize? He really seems to enjoy the 10g and ideally I'd put him in one of his own but I barely have room for one 10g as it is. When I say much smaller, I guess I mean 5g or under.
I definitely wouldn't move him to anything under 5 gallons, but I think he would be fine if you downsized him a bit. I have a guy in a five gallon, and to be honest, they aren't much smaller than the ten. Just don't overcrowd him with to many plants and decorations, which is easy to do in such a small tank!

I suggest trying to put him in the new tank and see how he reacts for about a week or two. If he likes it, stick to that plan, if he doesn't, I'd put him back in the ten and eithe try selling off the brand new five, which I know, is hard to do, or sett up a nano community in the five(:
Erin8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:59 AM   #3 
Sakura8

That's a good idea and good advice about not overcrowding with plants. I have a lot of them in the 10g and he loves to swim and hide in them, so he might not be as happy in the 5g. Now, as soon as I can find a 5g that I like, I'll try your idea. I've had a heck of a time trying to find one that works for me. It's too bad cherry barbs are red and so is my betta or I think I'd leave him in the 10g since the two can be pretty peaceful tankmates. The Dwarf Croaking Gourami are so small I'd probably put them in the 5g instead.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote