Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #1 
copperarabian

New fish is deathly ill and I don't know what to do!!!

I just bought a fish(I literally bought him 30 min ago) who is doing absolutely terrible and I think he is going to die! He wasn't acting very healthy in the store but I bought him anyway and am very worried about him. He wasn't swimming around his bowel at all in the store but I didn't think anything of it.

He barely moves except to get air and I had to lower the water to 3 inches in the container I'm floating in my big aquarium(It's the warmest) so he can actually reach the surface.

He was very pale, and is still pale.

His fins look like they might have a tiny bit of fin rot on the tail, but I don't think it would effect his health this much, and they haven't grown in yet too (he's a halfmoon) and he seems under weight to me. He's not super small (Like an inch and a half long) so he should be able to eat food they give him, but maybe not....

His water looked bad in his bowel like they hadn't changed it in 3 or 4 days

His breathing is so shallow I can barely see his gills move

This shows the depth of the water, the container is at an angle so it's twice as deep in the back

When the water was deeper, after he struggled to get to the surface he would sink back down and land on his tail, the fall to the side :(

Attached Images

copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #2 
Punki

Aw! :( If he makes it he will be beautiful! He looks like hes starved on my end too, im not an expert or anything just by looking at my own fish. I guess the most important thing is fresh water, have you slowely added fresh water in with his yucky water and slowely changed it out already? Does he even care about food or have you not tried yet? Looks like hes been in a cup far too long without being noticed :( I hope you can save him :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #3 
copperarabian

I put in a little pellet and a few little pieces of flake so he could choose between the two, I think he might of tried eating one of the flakes, but he may of also been just breathing air....
I just finished transferring him to new water. His condition hasn't changed at all yet.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Awe..poor little guy...... I would try giving him some tannins and keeping his tank light off to help relax him.. I wish I had more advise to offer..I am not sure what would be the best course of action...I hope the little guy feels better.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #5 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
Awe..poor little guy...... I would try giving him some tannins and keeping his tank light off to help relax him.. I wish I had more advise to offer..I am not sure what would be the best course of action...I hope the little guy feels better.

I just turned off the light, and I don't have any tannins, but I do have black water extract, should I add a little bit of that?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
I just turned off the light, and I don't have any tannins, but I do have black water extract, should I add a little bit of that?
I would.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #7 
copperarabian

added a little blackwater extract.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #8 
carzz

Try a bit of AQ salt. CLEAN water!!!! <- It's the best cure in the book :)
Give him everything you've got (not literally), and let's hope he's a fighter!!!! If you thought he was worth buying, he's worth saving!
But then again, they all are :)
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #9 
copperarabian

I dicided I'm going to move him, so I set up a large Tupperware shallow container(It's also opaque so hopefully he will feel a little more secure) that I'm floating on one side of the aquarium because I was worried about ammonia building up because I had to lower his water so much.

Once it's a similar temp I'll move him into it....

Last edited by copperarabian; 05-23-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #10 
carzz

Any salt? It helps a lot. 2 TBS per gal.
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote