Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #1 
PewPewPew

Thumbs down Brittle fins

Ever since I've had little Baller (Balthier), his fins have been getting worse and worse. His dorsal and tail fins are GIGANTIC, and always seem to have serious issues.

Ive battled nasty rot from what I can only assume is from a fight with the filter a while back, but since then, he hasnt gotten better for good.

Latley Baller's issue lies with his dorsal, which shreds and shreds and shreds like nobody's business. It gets red, the rays exposed, dead, all that. I treat it every time with Salt and sometimes Melafix, and he gets better, only for it to happen again. Even with no plants and no filter, he still has messed up fins.

Does anyone know if fish can have just plain brittle fins? He's such a sickly thing with his fins now :c

I dont have pics of it, really, because it happens all the time. Huge rip here, big slice there, redness, ahsdkjhflaksdjfhk.

I cant keep this poor thing in Qt the rest of his life, but even there he seems to not get well. Too brittle, too big!

He lives well and clean...

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons (atm, divided), usually by himself, 4 gallon QT
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? For this summer with Alle, but he gets all messed up no matter where he lives.... None in QT right now.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega one pellets (mini)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 times, spaced evenly, all week.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Cycled tank- usually 1-2x a week, no more than 50%. In Qt, almost every day, 100%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner, plant fertilizer (none in QT)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: neutral, I think
Hardness:soooffttttt
Alkalinity:

Sigh...

I worry for Baller. If this keeps up, he'll lose all his fins. I dont want him to get sick... Im leaving for a trip soon and have a horrible feeling Ill be coming back to a torn up Baller, as usual.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #2 
Luimeril

Cup has brittle fins. x: i think it's from the ripping from over-flaring, and re-healing, because they rip at the drop of a dime.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

Im posting here because I wold like to see some answers as well...I am dealing with the same thing pretty much...My one guy has constant shredded looking fins..And huge red blood "splotches" in his fins...I have treated with aquarium salt for 10 days.....And when that didn't work I even tried maracyn 2...Still there...I'm sure its not his coloring...Hopefully someone will come along with some good advise..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Baller's, too. Even when alone, and when not flaring. I cant figure this kid out.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #5 
Luimeril

i think it's possible. x: i mean, Cup's fins are more see-through, and heal slower now, since he's flared and ripped them SO MUCH. maybe HMs are more prone to it, though. Xd
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Was Baller a petstore betta? He may not have gotten a healthy start in life if he was and he could just be a little sickly because of it, poor thing. I'm going through the same thing with my betta, too. His fins are always ripped and I can't ever figure out why. I don't think it's overflaring; in his case, he has no one to flare at.

PewPewPew, you might want to check out the "Rooibos" thread.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=71248 (If the link doesn't work, it's in the Betta Care section of the forum)

I just tossed a rooibos tea bag in with my guy so hopefully it will help heal him. If, for some reason, it doesn't work, at least it turned the water a pretty color . . .

I wonder if another reason might be some kind of vitamin or mineral deficiency? Like human fingernails split without calcium, could a fish's fins split without some needed mineral or something?

Get well soon, Baller!

(Just noticed . . . Luimeril, you may be on to something. My guy is a HM too)

Last edited by Sakura8; 05-27-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Balthier's a DBTHM with ridiculous finnage, but he had a great start with a good breeder :c I worry his rays are brittle.
Name:  2011-04-13 22.28.45.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  92.2 KB
Flaring he's almost over 180' D; Ughhhh too bigggg