Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #11 
leeb62

Well the eggs are alot whitter than the bubbles, so you shouldn't have a hard time seeing if your male is eating the eggs. If he is try artificial hatch the eggs.
leeb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #12 
Panthera

Well I'm still not sure if he was eating them or not, but there still seem to be a good number of eggs in the nest and now he seems to be staying under it and looking up at them every so often. I think it might work this time :D I'm going to keep feeding him Brine Shrimp to keep him full so he can do all his fatherly duties, without eating any of the fry....

Left a bright nightlight on for him tonight and he has more then enough light to watch over his eggs. Wish me luck! Can't wait for them to hatch :D I'm gonna be spamming this thread with squees!
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #13 
youlovegnats

aaaahhhhh....I would turn the light off. He can take care of the eggs just fine. The light might stress him out. My bf's uncle used to be a breeder back in Vietnam, and he swears by having low-lighting. He said it produced bettas with better color and strength.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #14 
leeb62

Well in that case good luck man.
leeb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #15 
Panthera

Well there were no eggs last time, but Cerberus was still adding onto the bubblenest and Sprinx still seemed eager to spawn (Never lost her breeding bars), so I put them back in the spawn tank the next day :D

That was two days ago, and now this morning at officially 10:30 AM we have eggs! They've probably embraced a good 10 times so far and each time the number of eggs is getting bigger! There are about 30 in the nest so far but who knows could be more, could be less.

She got pretty torn up this time, but I guess thats because she kept ramming the nest and flaring at him.....now she's being a good girl with her fins clamped and head down xD Well I'll update with some videos and pics soon, I'm gonna go back to being a pervert and watching them do the dirty! Stay tuned!
Old 05-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #16 
Panthera

Here's a video of them embracing and him picking up the eggs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31LkC...yer_detailpage

They appear to be done now, she's off in the corner and he's tending to the nest. It looked like he still could have done some more wrapping, but she wasn't having any of it. Don't know how many eggs there are, but I estimate around 50 :)

Here are some pics too! Crappy I know, but they move so damn fast! lol

Old 05-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #17 
sjones

the expression of the female?(black one) in the first one is priceless!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #18 
indjo
TFK Moderator

@panthera - you're risking the destruction of the first batch. But all is done. Hope all goes well.

If you're not feeding the male but he has a large belly, then he's probably eating eggs. Watch for that if you can't see the eggs (but don't disturb them).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #19 
Panthera

There was no first batch, he ate the eggs, I checked. He's not eating them this time around, he's being very good with keeping them in the nest, even though they keep falling. I think there are about 30-50, though I can't tell for sure. We'll find out soon :D They'll hatch either tonight or tomorrow morning!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #20 
Panthera

I'm not sure but I think they may be starting to hatch. I saw a few eggs starting to fall, but without the male they zoomed back up to the bubblenest. I can't really see tails though, are they that small that I wouldn't see them? There are about 20-30 eggs on the ground that he's ignoring :/ I hope they hatch since there aren't very many that I can see in the nest.

Any advice/info? :)

Edit: I can see itty bitty tails and some are zooming to the top now :D YAY *Squees*