Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #1 
Jetsetter

Everyone wants me to flush my betta

I inherited this betta from a co-worker because he needs help and I still can't figure out how to help. First, here are the facts:

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? room temp
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? ??

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? just started him on freeze dried bloodworms but he didn't eat any
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day, but he hasn't eaten in days

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? did complete water change yesterday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aquarium salt, amquel, novaqua

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: 7.6
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? loss of vibrant color, head seems grey/green in color, clamped fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lays on the bottom of the tank, doesn't swim around, heavy/labored breathing, no eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? several, several weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I started yesterday to treat for depression. I did an entire water change and treated with the above items. I placed a mirror behind the tank and changed the food. I also planted some bulbs. This was all done YESTERDAY
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year

I can't tell if he's depressed for has velvet (I keep forgetting to get a flashlight) inflammed gills or some sort of bacteria. Also, I have no idea how soon I can anticipate a change. I refuse to give up on this guy!

HELP!
Attached Images

Jetsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #2 
newarkhiphop

Well one thing i can tell you need to change completely is the housing situation

1 gallon needs to be 2 ( although i keep mine in a one gallon for now)

you need a filter , if not water change every other day

you MUST have a heater, probably the most important thing in the equation they need a water temp of at least 78 degree but preferably somewhere around 80

i can almost guarantee if you do that ( at least the heater) plus give the lil guy a cave to hide in he will start eating again in no time

also how often and what were u feeding him before the bloodworms?
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #3 
Silverfang

First things first, clean conditioned tap water, 100% changes daily. Clean water is the best cure for bettas period.
Second thing is his diet. Freeze dried anything should be a treat only, not nutritious and they have been known to cause bloating. Most people on these boards use pellets as their staple diet. In sick fish with missing fins (I'm not sure if this is the case, but his top fin definitely looks like he's either been chewing it, or it's got fin rot) a high protein diet is highly recommended. Live or frozen blood worms, baby brine shrimp (BBS), etc.
Also you want to get a thermometer to get the exact temperature of the water, if it's too cold it can cause them to be lethargic. Bettas like the heat, they are tropical, 78 degrees is ideal.
Aside from that I suggest asking oldfishlady (OFL) for advice, she's the guru of all things betta related. I hope you can help him improve.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #4 
Silverfang

While upgrading to a larger tank (2.5gal seems to be the preferred minimum for this site) is ideal, a smaller container of .5 or 1gal is good for quarantining and treating your fish. Especially if a treatment is required.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #5 
Luimeril

gotta get the poor darling a heater. bettas come from warm-water areas(Thailand), and are tropical fish. anything below the mid 70's isn't that good for them.

second. get the darling some pellets. freeze-dried foods are like potato chips to us. they taste good, but aren't good for us.

i dunno what all you're treating him with, but aquarium salt is all i ever use. but, honestly, in most cases, clean water is the best treatment.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #6 
vaygirl

I agree with what everyone said. He's extremely thin too. He needs heat, the right food, and water changes frequently in one gallon. Fish excrete ammonia through their gills every day. This makes their water dirty. You can't see it but it's there. Change his water every third day, or every other day if you can handle that.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #7 
OwnerofSaix

Unless your room temperature is 78 degrees, I suggest you get a heater. That's really unsafe for a betta, since they are tropical. Good luck saving the little guy!
OwnerofSaix is offline   Reply With Quote