Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #1 
Punki

New little girl

A little petsmart girl that i just got from a family member who had no time and didnt want her to suffer. Anyone know about how old she is or what type she is? Shes only alittle longer then a quarter from head to toe, maybe an inch and 1/4th. Im used to my male Fishy, and hes dark and big, i can see her insides and im not sure how i feel about it yet but she is cute. Very shy in her upgraded space hiding in her plants and peeking out. So any ideas on What she is/how old she may be?

I took that before covering her up so she could de-stress from the long move so she might be a bit stressed.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #2 
gmd1800

She looks like a very cute VT girl! As for age, I'm not sure. At least six months, I'd think.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #3 
Punki

Thank you! Her cup was only labeled "female betta" so i kindof assumed it but wanted to be sure. Ignoring the tail difference in my male and her, hes so fat and long and shes so little! Are the females usually smaller? Her attitude is so different from his, hes a real fighter, he will headbutt my hands, the gravel vac, a floating leaf. and when i release live foods he RUSHES but she likes to hide, poke at things, and peek out when your not watching. I released just 2 mosquito larvae into her tank to see how shed react and she would do little short bursts of swimming. Sometimes poking them curiously :)) Then gobbled them up, they almost seemed to big though, my big guy just gulps them down, she sortof seemed like she was eating spaghetti noodles XD

Last edited by Punki; 05-18-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 AM   #4 
kathstew

Yes. I definitely would say she is a veiltail. She's gorgeous! I love her color, its very unique.
I do believe that females are smaller than males (fins and other wise). As she gets used to you, she will probably become less shy. My girls were very shy when I first got them, but now if I stick my hand in the tank they sit inside my fingers, and nibble and chase my fingers. :P
LOL. I'd like to see a betta eat spaghetti noodles.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #5 
Punki

Im going to try and videotape her eating a mosquito larvae today, its so cute. I bought these mini betta pellets and she has a hard time eating them, her little mouth holds her back. Id say shes about the size of his tail alone, his head is about three times bigger then hers. I really didnt expect her to be so small. Her first night has went alright, her heater didnt seem to work and we had a cool night though so her tank hit about 72 and shes alittle slow but im putting warm baggies of water around her tank and its back up to about 76 now so hopefully she feels better. Im trying not to stare too often and worry her but shes already swimming up to the glass and begging a bit. The oddest thing though is that when i feed her a mosquito larvae i can see it in her stomach after she swallows it :))
Old 05-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #6 
Punki

She seems to be calming down, this was right after her water change, i have to do them daily for now since shes only in 1.5 gallons, good thing shes small though, she can zoom across the tank back and forth so its roomy for her until i can get a bigger one. Look at her little face, shes looking at me thinking "You look weird!" Shes very cute :)
Old 05-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #7 
Fermin

She's a doll! Have you named her yet?
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #8 
Punki

Coraline, She seems cute but shy and in her own little playful world, and my 3 year old loves the movie also :)
Old 05-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #9 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punki View Post

She seems to be calming down, this was right after her water change, i have to do them daily for now since shes only in 1.5 gallons, good thing shes small though, she can zoom across the tank back and forth so its roomy for her until i can get a bigger one. Look at her little face, shes looking at me thinking "You look weird!" Shes very cute :)
Oh my goodness! I bought another female yesterday that looks just like yours! :) Mine's less than an inch right now, she's so tine and frail. Straight from wal-mart and in decent health too. Do you grow/harvest your own larvae?
:) sorry! got all excited and forgot to welcome you to the forum.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #10 
Punki

My sister picked her up at petsmart for 49 cents and gave her to me, shes very small as well and no health issues so far either, maybe they are related XD
Yeah i put out a bucket of tap water conditioned and loaded it with oak leaves and sat it in the sun a couple of weeks and now i have a mosquito problem :)) But plenty for the fish thats for sure!