Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #1 
Rhondabelle

Bubble nest in 3 day old water?

I've got my orange male in a half gallon (for now) and he usually gets daily 100% water changes. I got him a week ago along with my female, and their tanks have been side by side since then. He hasn't even made an attempt at making a nest all week. The last couple have days have been crazy busy with my little guys 1st birthday so I haven't been able to do his 100% water changes for three days.

I came home from work yesterday to a nice big bubble nest. I was just wondering if anyone else has had their males build big nests in less than ideal water conditions? I was under the impression that they preferred to build their nests in fresh water o.0
Rhondabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

It doesn't necessarily have to be fresh water. I guess they build them whenever they feel like it. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:01 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

Don't be under the assumption that just because the fish made a nest in subpar conditions that it means that its ok to house them in bad water quality or even that bad water conditions are actually conducive to nest building. In fact it is very much the opposite. If you want to keep him in spawn condition his water needs to be pristine at all times.

There are tons of factors that go into nest building. Perhaps since you were busy you weren't near him as much and he felt secure enough to build his nest. IME most fish don't feel secure enough in their new environments to nest until after a week or two so that's probably why he only stated building one now.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:02 AM   #4 
Rhondabelle

Ok thanks so much :) I have changed his water every day since then, and he has continued to rebuild the nest :) Hubby is going to dig out my old 5 gallon tomorrow so I can put him in there. It'll be much easier to keep that one clean I think :)
Rhondabelle is offline   Reply With Quote