Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #11 
Luimeril

Ichi's pretty mellow. it takes alot to stress him out. he's in sight of Theo all the time, and never bit his fins before. i'm thinking the week of thunderstorms we've been having, stressed him out. :/
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #12 
RiverStoneBetta

Thunderstorms have triggered Boba's tailbiting before. He's usually pretty regular about biting it when it gets to a certain length, but he's bitten early on the onset of bad thunderstorms, so that's an angle to look into at least.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:04 AM   #13 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
I don't think it's stress with these guys. For example, my HM Angel was a quiet, still little thing until he gave himself a trim. Now he's WILD and full of personality. Their tails bog them down and once they learn that fin trim = freedom, well....you get the idea.

It's a shame though. I thought I finally had a non-tailbiter but I was wrong. Cloud just started ripping his tail to bits tonight.

I only ever had one half moon (rosetail) that didn't bite. Plato, a beautiful platinum butterfly. He had such graceful control of himself, he would slowly swim across the tank and then display and float wherever he pleased. Sadly, a mystery disease took him from us and we have been so devastated since. I was basing my whole line on him.

Anyway, just make sure to keep the water clean and you should be ok concerning tail rot.
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #14 
GienahClarette

Sir Crispin started biting a little bit the other week. It was probably from the stress of having ghost shrimp in his tank (He decided to hate the entire species after one tried to take a ride on his tail) and me gone on holiday for a few days. I tossed a ton of anacharis stems into his tank and the bites started to heal, also he's acting a little more perky.

I think the added hiding spots give him more security or something. Plants also seem to be his favorite thing above all else.
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #15 
Alex09

I think most resort to tailbiting for one of 2 reasons:
1. It could somehow be a genetic thing
2. They DO learn that by biting their tails they get to have more freedom.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

McGee bites his tail but he's a crowntail. I think he wants to be a doubletail, though. lol He's pretty excitable and aggressive.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #17 
Arashi Takamine

Oh god yes tailbiting is awful. Akira is one of them. I was ready to cry when I saw the damage he did to himself. His gorgeous double rays were down to five and his tail looks like a fan.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #18 
monroe0704

Tailibiting is most definitely a genetic trait in some shape or form. None of my HMs from Karen have started biting, and they have some of the most fluttery fins I've seen! On the other hand, most of my HMs from Thailand have become tailbiters. I believe it's because of the over breeding and disregard to genetic impact in numerous aspects.

Of course environment nurtures what nature has given them... so take my opinion with a grain of salt, and choose bettas from local, responsible breeders. :)
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #19 
laughing

I definitely genetics play a huge part.

HMs at my PetCo will be there for months and not touch their tails. A lot of breeders keep their males in plastic half gallon container that never touch their tails.

I think we over look genetic traits for personality and quirks and just think, PRETTY!!!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #20 
Jessabell

Dang, I was thinking of getting one to...should I not now and get a diff. breed?
Jessabell is offline   Reply With Quote