Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2011, 02:39 AM   #1 
copperarabian

My fish has Ick, any tips?

My poor king Betta, I'm treating him like I would my cichlid (who has no signs of ick) with a heat treatment as well as the full recommended amount of aquarium salt since I normally only use 75% of the recommended amount.

I don't want to use the Ick medication because Whenever I used it before it had no affect at all and 3 of my cichlids died because of it. that was also the first time I experienced ick that was so resilient, it just wouldn't die. After discovering aquarium salt I've never had any problems until now and I'm worried about my nightmare coming back to take my only cichlid who was able to barely fight it off as well as one of my bettas.

If anyone had any tips about treating bettas that would be awesome(especially since I'm use to cichlids) Also I know about the Epson salt bath and plan on doing that if I see no improvement by Thursday next week.

Housing

What size is your tank?
48g
What temperature is your tank?80 (I started raising the temperature slowly until it got to 84 to help kill the ick, I would raise it to 86 but I don't know if a Betta can handle that for two weeks)
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your Betta fish live with?South American cichlid (half red/blood parrot, half convict hybrid), 10 gallons is divided off for the Betta because he kept gorging on the cichlid food. Also this way I can keep the air stone on high without stressing out my betta.
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Tetra pellets, Betta pellets as the main diet(four in the morning, 4 in the evening), one tetra flake a day, then one freeze dried brine shrimp every other day, and 2 freeze dried blood worms a week,
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
25% twice a month, but since ick appeared I did a 60% water change the first day, and plan on doing a 40% on Friday and then continue with 25% twice a week for three weeks.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? around 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Blackwater Extract, Aquarium Salt
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your Betta fish's appearance changed?
Ick parasite is visible
How has your Betta fish's behavior changed?
no
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
two days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Heat treatment, water changes,
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)?less then 2

Last edited by copperarabian; 05-18-2011 at 02:45 AM.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:35 AM   #2 
MelissaD

If you don't want use medication you are doing the right thing by raising the temperature. Depending on who you ask, 84, 85, or 86 are good temperatures to SLOWLY raise it to, but like you said you don't want to raise it too much or the fish might die.
MelissaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:31 AM   #3 
LeroyTheBetta

From my research, heat alone of at least 86 will kill the parasite. Or, heat in the low 80s and salt will do the same. Heat and salt treatment should be for about a week to 10 days. Also, it's very important to vacuum the substrate daily in order to remove as many of the cysts before they can hatch, sending out hundreds more of the parasites.

Good luck!!
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #4 
DarkMoon17

You can safely raise the temp to 86 for bettas, Thailand is a very hot place...

Otherwise, I would increase the salt treatment. Add 1 tsp/gal 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Normally you would perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites but since your tank is gigantic, just do as much as you can and make sure you vacuum the bottom thoroughly.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #5 
copperarabian

Thank you so much to everyone, the info will definitely help :D
Old 05-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #6 
kumi

Hi. I'm just checking to see how it's going. Is the ich better?

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #7 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumi View Post
Hi. I'm just checking to see how it's going. Is the ich better?

Kumi

He's doing much better, I haven't seen any signs of Ick since I raised the temperature and added extra aquarium salt, as well as all the water changes. I'll keep the temp high for one more week before moving back down to normal and cross my fingers I killed it all.
:)
Old 05-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #8 
kumi

Terrific!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #9 
DarkMoon17

copperarabian, just keep in mind that there is a time during the ich life cycle where it is immune to salt/medicine so it is possible that there will be another recurrence in a few days. If that does happen don't worry, it doesn't mean that the treatment isn't working, you just have to do it a bit longer. Good luck :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #10 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
copperarabian, just keep in mind that there is a time during the ich life cycle where it is immune to salt/medicine so it is possible that there will be another recurrence in a few days. If that does happen don't worry, it doesn't mean that the treatment isn't working, you just have to do it a bit longer. Good luck :)

I know, and ick sucks because of that. That's why I'm keeping the temperature high for another week to make sure it will be more effective.

Once I turn the temp back to normal I'm going to monitor closely to make sure the ich really is gone. It will be much easier that I don't have to commute to San Fransisco everyday for school, (yay finals was last week and I'm free!) and can be home all day to monitor them.

Last edited by copperarabian; 05-21-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Tags
disease, ick, king betta, white spot