Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #11 
SillyCone

so the black end is it's normal colour, right?
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #12 
Larsa

So I journied to Petco today and found out the problem. I brought in a water sample of Ryu's tank. They did some tests and the ammonia is high which is causing the ph to be high and those blisters are likely to be ammonia burns, which can easily get infected and lead to fin rot. My other problem is since my tank hasnt cycled yet the helpfull bacteria cant settle with the filter. I picked up some Bettafix, Betta Revive, and Pimafix just in case. Forgot to get better testing strips...-_-

I isolated my betta in clean water with conditioner and a grain of aqua salt. I cleaned his tank with almost boiling hot water and all his decor. Cleaned his filter, added the water, water conditioner, and aqua salt. Im letting the filter clean any particles for an hour, adding my fish, then no filter for a few weeks. I will do a 20 % water change once a week. Does this sound ok!?
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #13 
youlovegnats

In a 2.5 gal you need to be doing more than that. I recommend 100% changes once a week and a few 20%-25% changes within that week as well.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #14 
Luimeril

a single grain of aquarium salt isn't gonna do much. >3< in my tanks, i try to do 2 or more water changes a week. you need to use a teaspoon of salt, per gallon. i sure hope the bumps go away. :d i've never had actual bumps on my bettas. o.0
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #15 
Larsa

Im keeping him in a temporary container and its like a fourth of a gallon. so i think one grain is ok for that. I put 4 grains in my 2.5 gal.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #16 
Neil D

In a 4th of a gallon, you should put a 4th of a Tspoon. A 4th of a gallon tank needs 100% change DAILY. Good luck
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #17 
Larsa

Thank you everyone for the help! I hope Ryu is ok. His tank is about 82 F but will cool to 78 F tonite. I hope that the warmer water with aqua salt will keep him cozy and heal him : ) I got NLS betta formula for my water babies. It taste better than the hikari stuff ( yeah I DID try a pellet of each XD ) so maybe his new yummies will help him feel better : P Thanks for the support!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #18 
Neil D

Haha great! Keep us posted
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote