Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #1 
Ribbons

Help? I don't know if Something is up?

Hi there! I've had my betta boy for about nine months now. His behaviour is fine, but I don't know-I think something is up with his fins :/ I dont know if it's fun rot or velvet- the edges of his fins seem to be curled up when he's relaxed, and when he sleeps his colour pales normally, but the colours have changed to a grey blue colour :/
He has White spots on him, but has had them from day one. I treated him for ick, for everything, and saw no change in the spots, and it seems they might just be a colouring.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5gallon
What temperature is your tank?26 degrees celcius, has been raised to 28 to see if it helps
Does your tank have a filter?Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?Filter aeration
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?twice a day, fast day once a week
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetrasafe water conditioner, aquarium salt,stresszyme
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Have just performed a water change, will get the parameters when it settles, but it was all perfect and steady before
Ammonia:n/a
Nitrite:n/a
Nitrate:n/a
pH:7.2
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity:n/a
Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Greying of fins, slight curling over of edges of fins when resting
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't at all
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? More regular water changes, adding aquarium salt as directed, don't want to treat with anything more in case I'm over reacting
Does your fish have any history of being ill?none that I know of, was treated for ick when I first got him as a precaution, but it turned out to be a colouring
How old is your fish (approximately)? Nine months from taking home from pet shop

Am I overreacting? I'll put up pictures, but I don't want to treat for something he hasn't got(again!) am on my phone, so having trouble putting the pics up but they'll be up soon :)
Ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #2 
SillyCone

I'm not an expert but I'm sure one of them will soon log and yes, we can't quite see the problem without the proper photo, don't just don't panic, I'm sure things will be fine.

Welcome to the forum also!
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:32 AM   #3 
Ribbons

Thank you! I'm a long time viewer of the forum, so I thought I should join :)

I am worried that I've uploaded the photos wrong, and if so yell at me and let me know! I'm no good at these things :s Sorry!
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #4 
SillyCone

Well, its a nice fish!

As I said I'm not one of the experts, but at this hour oldfishlady sometimes appears up and "spam" the help section, she's the real deal.

But from the pictures I don't think there's anything wrong... BUT as I said this is just my personal opinion, I don't understand much, usually I try to help first while you guys wait for the experts :P!

Is his dorsal fins like that always? Is a bit different xD

And idk, maybe is just over-reaction, I get that all the time (from myself), they do change colours when young though, or when getting old xD
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #5 
DarkMoon17

He looks ok to me. I don't see any signs of fin rot or other illnesses. It is possible that you are just noticing the changes as he ages. He's quite handsome :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #6 
Ribbons

I probably am just over-reacting xD
He changed so much when I brought him home from the pet shop, I was worried him changing again might be signs of stress, but I've just done the water test again, and everything's coming up good, so I guess not!
Probably just him getting older :)

Yeah, that photo shows his dorsal fin a bit strange! I think it was taken just as he started to turn, or finished turning, so it was at a strange angle.

Thanks for the replies guys, you've put my mind more at ease :)
Fishawish thanks you too ^.^
Old 05-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

No problem, just glad he's ok :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote