Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #1 
Nymmers

3 Tanks, One Plan

So, I already have an empty 20G (Tall), that I plan to use for a sorority. I only have 3 Girls at the moment, however on top of girls I'd like to have some Neon's. It will be a planted tank, with tons of different sized flower pots, broken and what not, at least this is my ideas. If I go with this plan, how many girls, and Neon's should I have, or should I include a different fish with them? (Shrimps, Snails Algae Suckers, etc) I have no idea for substrate or overall theme though, shoot me some ideas.

Then I have two 10G's I plan to make divided tanks for my breeder males. I plan to divide it 3 times to make 4, 2.5G areas, good plan? The substrate in these is already white sand, I plan to have live plant, and moss in each section as well as some turned over flower pots. However, for a divided tank what makes the best filter, also does anyone have a link to a DIY dividers? I'd want to mesh kind to allow better flow and to kind of block off them seeing each other too much. This will make room for 8 fish in two tanks. =3 (I have 2 Halfmoons, what does this mean? Wooo)

Sooo.. Look below at my somewhat-sexy drawing to give you an idea of the layout. That's my wall color, floor color and trim too, the shelves will be black. =3 (not exactly draw to proportion, because I didn't include lids, filters, heaters etc. which there is enough room for btw) Imagination people!

The top shelf I would add a light and used for jarred males I would sell. I do have a 30Gallon I really want to use as the breeder/grow-out tank, however there are currently 8 Mbunu cichlids in there, (cichlids were an old hobby of mine, I finally got their numbers to 8, in one tank. haha, I do have one Krib in the 10G, but hopefully he has a new home.) So if I can find someone to adopt them I'll have my 30G breeder/grow-out.

I currently have:
2 HM Females
1 VT Female
2 HM Males
1 CT Male
2 VT Males
= 8 Fishes

My CT & VT's are going in these really cool 2.5G and 3G vases. =3

ANYWAY, shoot your ideas out at me, we can design this together. Wooo!
Nymmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #2 
Tomsk

Just a couple of things to start the ball rolling,will the floor beable to withstand the weight?.You will have a lot of weight on a small surface area.The other thing is,will there be ample room above each tank to allow easy access for water changes/feeding/moving decor/tending plants etc?

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #3 
Nymmers

The floor will be able to withstand the weight, I already have the two 10 gallons on the shelving, it isn't drawn to scale, there is enough room for me to take my filter component out without moving shelves around, as well as take the entire lid off for water changes, so yep plenty of room!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Hm... the only thing I see wrong is dividing a 10g four times. Bettas prefer horizontal space to vertical, so 2.5g each sounds like alot yes, but it isnt if they only have like 3-5 inches of horizontal space, right? I would only divide 3 times, but thats just me. Other than that, I like the idea ^^ It would look cool! Are you going to make the stand yourself?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #5 
Nymmers

The average 10G is 20inch long, 10inch wide, and 12/13inch tall. So yes they might only be able to move left to right 5inches (20/4 is 5) but they can go front to back within a 10inch space. So really they have a lot of horizontal swimming space. It would ROUGHLY equal something like this -> http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Bowls =3 I got the idea for divisions from -> http://darkmoon17.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3e7noh I stalk her dA. Haha. Did that make any sense?

The stand is already built, I'll have to remove the 10 Gallons before it gets put into its permanent spot in the living room. (So I may re-paint the stand glossy black and do the walls dark blue) My parents built it for me a long time ago, and sat in the shed for the longest time until I figured out what I wanted to do with hit. Collecting dust is all.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

I would try previewing how it looks with 4 with folders or something, its smaller than you think! I tried it and thought it was too narrow. Even with a ten divided 3 ways, its a bit narrow. Good luck!
Actually, Ive done with that tank and another :)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #7 
Nymmers

I will =3 I will post some pictures sometime next week.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #8 
Nymmers

I found my cichlids a new home, yay! So now I'm going to have a 30G breeder/grow out tank for my spawns. Soon I'll be going forward with my plans. I'm getting excited. How many female bettas should I have in the 20G or how many neons / bettas. It's going to be a well planted tank with plenty of hiding spots.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #9 
Nymmers

Pictures!

Not much interest in the thread. >> Anyway, an update, with pictures of the set up, woohoo! Walls still aren't painted, and nobody's really answered my question what's a good amount for a 20G sorority? I've decided to only do female bettas no other fish. Anywho.. Onto the pictures!

I guess I should clean off the front of my tank, water spots from adding/removing water. Oh well. Before my home-made dividers I had some store bought, they didn't last very long as Aro jumped over his divider into Aponi's side of the tank, and they fought for a little, no scales were lost just fin damage, so I went out and made my own, which are now flush with the light.

the full set up:

Fin damage:

Old 05-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #10 
nowzem

20 g....I wouldn't put more than 7 females (maybe could have a school of neons-I recommend 6 or more)) they are very territorial and I have 10 in a 55g and I often think its crowded! Someone else may have had more luck...You can probably have 10 as far as bio load goes...try 7 and see how it goes... :)

Also, I see you already made your own dividers, but I do have a link. :)
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote