Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #1 
jbadgley61580

Need help

Hi there - I bought my first Betta fish from Petco last month. I made sure to read up on them thoroughly so that I could care for him properly. So, he is living in a 6 gallon tank that is filtered and heated and treated with aquarium salt. He's got quite the little personality and loves interacting with my husband and I. He's got a healthy appetite (always seems like he's starved.... I typically feed him Betta Bio-Gold because the food that I initially bought him was too big in my opinion. These are the perfect size. I usually give him 1 or 2 everyday, skipping a day once a week. I give him freeze dried blood worms (just one) as a treat once a week. He seems to be very happy and very active. He is even starting to make a bubble nest. Now on to the things that I can't explain: he props himself slightly out of the water on top of my heater to sleep. Is this normal? He also seems to be hiding/sleeping more than I noticed when I initially got him. Also, I was just away for the weekend and when I came home noticed a single white dot on his head. I don't think it is Ick because it definitely doesn't look like salt and there's only one dot. Does anyone know what this could be and what I should do? Some other important information is that he does have a tank mate: an Albino Bottlenose Pleco. They get along great - I catch them "hanging out" with each other and have even seen my Betta sleeping almost on top of the Pleco before. Some other things about the tank is that I have a piece of Malaysia drift wood in there and some live plants. So, with all of this information does anyone know what could be going on with the white dot?
Thanks very much!!
jbadgley61580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

There's a sticky of information at the top of the forum which you can copy here to give us more information.

What is the aquarium salt treating for? A healthy betta does not need salt in their water. If you add salt as a regular routine thing, it's likely to be less effective when you really need to use salt for a treatment.

How much and how often are you doing water changes? Do you use water conditioner?

And with something like this, if you have a before and after photo to share that's helpful too. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #3 
jbadgley61580

Thank you for your response! I must have missed the sticky of information.

Housing
What size is your tank? 6 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? an Albino Bottlenose Pleco

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Bio-Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? usually once a day 1 or 2 pellets and with skipping one day a week. I also give him one freeze dried blood worm a week (a small piece).

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% although last week we did a complete water change because the Malaysian drift wood that I got made the tank turn brown (I read that it was completely normal and safe for the fish).
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add a water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No - I'm going to buy a kit tomorrow.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has developed a white spot directly on top of his head
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's sleeping a little bit more and propping himself on top of the heater so that he sticks out of the water a little bit (not much). He has started making a bubble nest too.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed the sleeping a couple of weeks ago and the white spot today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put it some aquarium salt during my last water change because I thought he had Ick and I didn't want to treat him with any medication without first being sure that is what is it. I have only used the salt once.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have no idea.

I'm trying to attach a picture to this message (I haven't done that yet so we'll see how it goes).

Thanks again!!
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #4 
Canuck Fins

I believe plecos produce a lot of waste. They tend to grow a lot bigger than they start out. I wonder if your betta is hiding out on top of the heater due to water quality. Getting a test kit is a good idea; a liquid one will be more accurate than strips.

I'm not sure what the white spot is.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

Is the white spot fuzzy or cottony at all? I can't really tell what texture it is. It is possible that he got in a scuffle with the pleco. Plecos have been known to attach themselves to fish and suck on their slime coating... I don't think it is a good idea to have even a small pleco in anything less than a 10 gal aquarium... They produce a lot of waste. You need to perform larger water changes.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #6 
jbadgley61580

Thank you so much for your advice!!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:02 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

Sounds like a water quality and stocking problem that is creating high stress and compromised immune response.....the BN pleco needs at least 20gal or larger and can be sensitive to salt, true they are poop machines too....big, frequent water changes are needed until you get the pleco re-homed or a 20gal tank to properly house it to meet its needs...

I would start with 50% daily for 2 days with vacuuming to get the salt out and then 50% 3 times a week-vacuum with 2 of the 3 weekly water changes...its just a matter of time before things go bad or get any worse than what they are now...I strongly encourage you to re-home the pleco or get a much bigger tank to prevent problems......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:07 AM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

I'd also try to put your betta in quarantine if you can. It might make making water changes easier on you. I mean you'll have to do changes for both tanks but the changes for the 6 gallon wont be as large and it'll be easier to keep your betta's area clean to promote healing.

Could he have "hole in the head"?
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #9 
jbadgley61580

Thank you all again for your advice and responses. I was in the process of re-housing the Pleco but when I got home from work yesterday found him dead in the tank - he was alive when I left for work yesterday morning. Not too sure what happened there. I'm afraid it was my fault and didn't feed him enough or stressed him out with water changes. He seemed to be much more stressed than my Betta when I would do water changes. My Betta doesn't seem phased by them. I did a 100% water change, rinsed my filter media and put the Betta back in the tank late last night after the filter ran for a few hours.

I do have another question about some of his behavior though. First of all, he's very curious and playful - he follows my finger all over the tank and overall seems pretty happy. However, ever since I bought him (April 17) when someone walks over to his tank he swims erratically darting all over the place. Sometimes when he does this, he will stop and rest on the bottom out of the blue and then start swimming again. It looked yesterday like he was swimming straight up and down a little bit - could this possibly be swim bladder? or is something else going on here? This morning he was darting to the bottom of the tank and bouncing off the gravel a little bit. I've been spending a lot of time with him everyday to monitor his behavior so that I know what's normal and what isn't but I just want to make sure that I am taking the best care of him that I possibly can which is why I'm here. Again, he's my first Betta so if it sounds like I am doing anything wrong, please let me know!! By the way - the white mark on his head went away. I am wondering if the Pleco wasn't terrorizing the poor guy at night. What do you suggest as a good tank mate for a Betta or would you suggest nothing at all? thanks again
Old 05-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #10 
DarkMoon17

I'm sorry about the pleco :(
Does it look like he is trying to scratch himself against the sides of the tank or gravel or is he just darting all over the place? If he is literally trying to scratch himself, then it is possible that he has parasites... but that is only if he is really trying to scratch/rub and not just darting.

It does not sound like swim bladder, he just sounds very active. He is also just resting when he stops to sit on the gravel, don't worry about that. It's great that the white spot went away :)

In a 6 gallon tank you could get him either (1) snail or several shrimp (amano, cherry or ghost shrimp are all popular choices). Snails have a high bioload whereas shrimp have very little. You could get up to 6-8 shrimp.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote