Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #11 
dsevo

You really don't think that its not fin rot from the top pictures? Could it be just torn with everything gone around his entire body? There is such a dramatic change in him that I was sure it was rot. Idk. Since I've noticed his loss of tails and fins I've actually been using just a little less than 1tsp of aquarium salt. Its been used in that amount since using the betta fix last week. Before that only a very very very little bit was used just as a stress reducer during water changes. I've always used a tiny bit of aquarium salt in my tanks. As of Monday I am no longer using betta fix and as of today I started using a little bit of life guard. He was acting fine during the betta fix and salt treatment all the way up to saturday. Came back in on Monday and he has been laying on the bottom heavily breathing. He will not eat and only darts to the top for a gulp and back down. Will not eat either. Idk if I'm convinced that its shock. He just looks bad all around from the way he looked a few weeks ago. I have a heater in there now and its at a steady 80. The heater has no adjustment on it. At night tho I'm not there but its an open office and no one is there and most of the computer and all the lights are off so I assume that its cool and staying at a min 78. I just dont get it. He was swimming around fine saturday and Monday no go. Didn't even do a water change that day.
dsevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #12 
dsevo

As far as the ither tank. I don't think it was the tank but the plant I had in the tank and the combination of reduced filtering and none frequent water change. The filter was too strong and the plant not the most betta friendly thing I bought. He would hide all in the plant which had some pointy edges I didn't think about before hand. Since I didn't change the water for the three weeks I had that tank and I didn't run the filter all the time I think he torn his fins but also got sick from the unclean water BC of the torn fins. The only reason that I thhink it is rot is BC it has affected his entire body and his tail seems to be very dark on the edges where in the healthy picture it was not dark in that same spot. I know its hard to tell with the new pics I'm going to bring the same camera with me tomottoe to get better pics and upload them. Maybe it'll help. Also his gill flaps seem to be very pale. More than usual like almost white. Ill try to get it in a pic. That is hoping he makes it till tomorrow
Old 05-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #13 
Silverfang

Whatever the cause, the best cure as was stated, is clean water, in a 1gal container every day is best. Especially if he is sick or being treated with salt. IF you don't do the daily water changes the salt can build up, and will eventually hurt him.
This might not be what you want to hear, but it's what is best for him. Some bettas are happier in smaller tanks, that being said they still need the frequent water changes to keep happy and healthy.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #14 
dsevo

Here is a pic with the new tank and the dreadrd plant. Notice points
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #15 
dsevo

Also in that pic he is in the upper most right part of the plant. He would hide there when the filter was on he is directly across from the filter you can somewhat see him this is before most of his fin loss
Old 05-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #16 
nowzem

Perhaps I just couldn't see it clearly, if the edges are dark (black) or red, then it is most likely fin rot. I didn't see any black edges and he already has a bit of red coloration in his fins... My intial thought was that he tore his fins on the plant/filter (he may have gotten stuck on the intake while he was resting...I've seen it happen)...but that can lead to fin rot (any damage to the fins can). The plant doesn't look THAT bad...I think the filter is the culprit...but there's reallly no way to be sure!

The change from Sat-Mon is most likely due to a lack of water changes (again this is from my own personal experience). If he's already stressed (and since his fins are missing, I guarantee that he is), he cannot tolerate anything less than ideal water.

The heater should be ok since you've already got it in there and he's ok... Just continue with the treatment and water changes...that's all you can really do for him at this point. It may take a bit of time for him to act normally. Whenever one of my guys is down, a water change usually rectifies the situation, but if they have fin rot, it can take a week (maybe more?)for them to start feeling better (or for me to notice they feel better).
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #17 
nowzem

Ahh...I re-looked at the pictures. I DO see dark edges to the tears. I think you are right and it is fin-rot. :( He will need an anti-biotic to get rid of it. The salt may or may not be effective alone. It works by breaking the bacterial cell wall and some bacteria may have a resistance to salt treatments.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #18 
nowzem

If you search" finrot" you'll find a plethora of info on this site, btw. I'm afraid I can't be much more help.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #19 
DarkMoon17

He definitely has fin rot, but I think there is something else going on.... How long has it been since he ate last? It looks like he hasn't eaten in weeks. What do his feces look like? When he does swim (if he ever does?), does he have trouble swimming?

For the fin rot, you need to do daily 100% water changes along with salt at 1 tblsp/gal... For the salt, bring the concentration up slowly over a 3 days span. If you choose to use a medication, Tetracycline is pretty safe.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #20 
dsevo

As far as eating n feces go he ate the end of last week a few pieces but I haven't noticed feces or haven't look good enough I'm sorry. When he swims to the top he struggles and falls back down after his gulp of air. Today I noticed him on the bottom pointing straight to the top never sawhim do that before. If he isn't leaning on something he falls to his side when n the bottom. He is very pale too. Sometimes he breathes hard other times he looks like he isnt breathing at all. Did Bettafix for 7 days followed instructions and stopped Monday. Started life guard yesterdayn just have to wait 24hrs for second dose. But box says not to do water change till 6th day. What should I do? Change water today or follow the box?