Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #1 
inkrealm

Exclamation PRIME question?

I'm doing a 50 change for a five gallon, I have the water out but I need to add in the new,
I refill using a 1 gallon jug.
the amount of Prime for a 5 gal tank is half way to the first line. should I fill it half way to the first line and just put a few drops in each gallon I use and pour the remainder into the tank itself? I'm not sure what the best way to go about this would be :/ my other conditioner I used, BettaSafe, was easy because it was seven drops per gallon so I just added seven drops into each gallon before pouring it in, but with this I don't think it's possible to measure enough for one gallon DX and ofcourse it has to be treate dbefore I expose my fish to it... so would pouring the amount for five into the cap, and then pouring from the cap into the jug just a little for each pour, and adding the rest to the tank itself, be an okay method? or bad idea? :/
he needs his water added back in >< although he's behaving more normally with it down I need to get the heater and filter turned back on and I can't do this till the water's back in, PLEASE HELP D:
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #2 
elijahfeathers

I use prime and honestly I use too much of it. I pour a little into the cap, and try to pour just 1-2 drops into the gallon I'm about to put into the tank. Always works for me.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #3 
inkrealm

alright, I might try this, his water's getting way too cold, thanks for the fast reply :)
Old 05-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #4 
denaliwind

2 drops per gallon is what my prime bottle recommends, although it's a small bottle, I don't know if the larger bottles are less concentrated. Although with Prime in general, you get a lot of bang for your buck, it doesn't require a large amount to treat water.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

I do 3 drops per gallon..My tap water smells like pool water though....
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #6 
inkrealm

yeah, it has different instructions on the big one >^< I'll just do the best I can and see how he reacts. I'll use those in case it's adifferent balance.
I also have no idea what I just did because I haven't used the prime yet, and I used my old stuff because I'd already started before I got this post, but his colors just got mega bright on the edges! he's been all faded from the cup D: and all of a sudden he has this gorgeous blue on his tail.... I hope I come back to a thriving beautiful baby :D and not a sick one D:
Old 05-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #7 
LeroyTheBetta

If you still have the Bettasafe bottle (I assume it's a dropper bottle), you could just refill that with the Prime. I recently bought a 500ml bottle of Prime and I want to treat each bucket of water before I refill my tanks.... it's hard when your only method to measure is via the lines in the cap. So, I kept my dropper bottle from my other dechlorinator and just refill that with Prime. I realize the holes in the dropper bottles (a Prime bottle and my old dechlorinator) may be slightly different in size, therefore producing slightly different sized droplets, but I don't worry about that. According to Prime's dosing instructions I need 1 drop/2 litres... so I'd need 5 for my bucket, but I usually put in 6 to cover any difference.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #8 
inkrealm

Julie- thanks, after I finished with the other he seemed to really take to it so I decided to wait to try Prime till I get back, but I'll check that out, that might be a really great idea :D
Old 05-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #9 
LeroyTheBetta

Oh, btw, Seachem's dosing instructions are 2 drops per gallon. :)
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #10 
Grundylady

I was told the bottles said different amounts because the larger one did not have a drop top. But the amount should be about the same.

I was also told that you can't overdose them so a little too much is better then not enough.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote