Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #11 
AKD1727

Thanks guys.

I've been working long hours these past couple of days so I haven't been able to post here when I first noticed it early yesterday morn - the poor bugger's got white spot! As I've been doing the water changes late at night I haven't really had the chance to get a real good look at him until then.

Do I need to change anything? Or do I continue with the salt treatment?

His qt water temp is always around 23 -25'C (75 - 77'F) with 100% daily water changes and 2tsp of salt in around 3 1/2 - 4L (about a gallon)

I'll try and get a pic asap but it definitely looks like ich, he's absolutely covered in it :(
AKD1727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #12 
Murka

I don't know much about that, but here's a good site about Betta fish sickness and stuff. At the top there's a 'Sick Betta' drop down menu with more detail on particular diseases. http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/

Last edited by Murka; 05-21-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: error
Murka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #13 
iheartmybettas

The easiest thing to do is gradually raise the temp to 85. Ick cannot survive at high temps.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #14 
DarkMoon17

Actually salt is very effective against ich. Just raise the temp gradually as iheartmybettas said and continue the salt treatment. You can even increase the salt treatment 3tsp/gallon. How long have you been doing the salt treatment?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #15 
AKD1727

It's the fourth day today. I just took this pic and I noticed that the spots are a lot smaller than when I first noticed them. They were about the same size as the spots on his face still are. I've also been rinsing out his qt container with hot water each time I change the water to get them all out.

Sorry if the pics are a bit big.

He's in a small container for when I change his water and get him acclimatised before he goes back in his qt
Old 05-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #16 
AKD1727

I just noticed that his finrot is still going strong :( Do you think I should add an extra teaspoon of salt??

Also, should I put his aeration block in his qt container to help him breathe a little easier?

Once again, thanks guys :)
Old 05-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #17 
DarkMoon17

You should try either 3 tsp/gal OR 1 tablespoon/gal for the next few days and see if you have any improvement. It will be a few days before you so any improvement. For how many days have you done the salt treatment?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #18 
AKD1727

Four days
Old 05-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #19 
Twilight Storm

This link is to a cichlid site, but it's a pretty nice list of active ingredients in medications you can look for to treat various fish diseases. The white spot (ich) looks pretty serious to me, but I am NOT any kind of an expert on fish diseases in any way, shape, or form. Things I have read about ich say that when the "spots" fall off it will leave open sores on your fish. I tried to look on AU aquarium sites to help you out but I am not familiar with stores there.
http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com...disease_7.html

I have not had to deal with white spot yet personally, but the high (85oF...29-30oC?) water temp will help the spots on your fish detach. Where medication can kill it in the water since it looks like it is immune to treatment while it is on your fish. I don't know if you can treat both fin rot and ich at the same time if you use meds though.... I just tossed out the link so if you go to a pet store you can look for a medication with the right main ingredient if that is what you decided on doing.

Best wishes, and I hope your poor little guy pulls through

Edited to add the link to the main disease page: http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com...1.html#disease

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 05-22-2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: added link
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #20 
DarkMoon17

Ok, just don't go over 10 days with the higher dosage of salt. If the salt doesn't do the job, then use medicine. I personally like Potassium Permanganate but it isn't available in stores, only online. Jungle's Parasite Clear is also effective.

Tags
black, fin, finrot, rot, stress