Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #1 
Grundylady

His bowl vibrates.......should I move him?

My boy Bo is in a 1.8 gal tetra waterfall globe - heated and filtered (and cycled).

I noticed the other day that the bowl vibrates slightly. (You can not see the vibration in the water.) Do you think it bothers him? After I had him about a week he started flaring at me a lot and he bites when I feed him about half the time..... (I've had him about 5 months now.)

He has had some recurring fin rot since I cycled the tank with him in it....but now that I am giving him frozen bloodworms once a week he is growing back what was lost.

Anyway, I am wondering mostly if the vibration of the glass globe might be making him so edgy/aggressive or it is just his nature. And also wondering if I should give him a rest by switching him with my female's 2.5 gal long. (Also filtered and heated) But only about 3 weeks old so most likely not cycled yet...... I've only done stick tests not a liquid test yet on this tank...

What do you all think?
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #2 
MelissaD

Not seeing vibrations in the water doesn't mean there aren't any, could just be very subtle. Water is very fluid, wei wu wei and all that jazz.
MelissaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #3 
bettafish15

You cannot cycle a tank under 2.5 gallons, so your tank is not cycled. Thats likely why he has finrot, you arent cycling the tank. :P You should be doing a 100% water change at least every other day in that tank ^^
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #4 
Grundylady

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
You cannot cycle a tank under 2.5 gallons, so your tank is not cycled. Thats likely why he has finrot, you arent cycling the tank. :P You should be doing a 100% water change at least every other day in that tank ^^
If it is not cycled then why, using the API test kit, is the ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate .25 or less when I test before the day I change the water. It IS cycled.

Also he HAD a small amount of fin rot but with proper nutrition he has new growth.

Pic of Bo in a glass during a change:

Anyway, the question is Do you think the vibration is having an adverse effect on Bo and should I switch him with the female for a time?
Attached Images

Last edited by Grundylady; 05-18-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Why is the bowl vibrating? I would think that would/could bother him and, yes, I would try to do something to correct it.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

If it is the filter outtake that is causing the vibration I would leave it off and keep up with water changes.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #7 
Grundylady

The filter hangs off the side of the bowl. The glass is fairly thin. I think that is what causes the vibration. If you touch the side you can feel the "humm".
Old 05-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundylady View Post
The filter hangs off the side of the bowl. The glass is fairly thin. I think that is what causes the vibration. If you touch the side you can feel the "humm".
You could try putting a sponge between the bowl and the filter to take out some of the vibration. I honestly would just leave the filter off...It is not really needed in a tank that size as long as you keep up with water changes.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #9 
Wyvern

If there is space between the where the filter attaches to the tank and the body of the filter, try either cottonwool or cloth padding to settle it flush with the tank and it will also absorb the vibrations.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #10 
Grundylady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
If there is space between the where the filter attaches to the tank and the body of the filter, try either cottonwool or cloth padding to settle it flush with the tank and it will also absorb the vibrations.
Thank you I'll give that a try.