Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #11 
Gizmothefreaky

I have two ADFs in a ten gallon with a snail and Thaddeus, my plakat betta, they do fine. I have a sand/gravel substrate and feed them frozen bloodworms as treats with a staple of HBH Frog and Tadpole bites. They love it. :3

When i had just one i kept her in a 2.5 with a betta and nothing bad happened, but i did my water changes often and kept the water and tank obsessively clean.

Each full grown ADF needs 2.5 gallons to itself, so you could have two in a five gallon, but you would only be able to have the frogs in there.

A SINGLE FROG WILL BE FINE IN THE FIVE GALLON.

The only reason we say they are social is because they are more entertaining to watch when there are more than one. Thats all.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #12 
babyk

i have a filter in my five gallon

and I cant get one anyway. I wouldnt want it to get smooshed:(
babyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #13 
babyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
I have two ADFs in a ten gallon with a snail and Thaddeus, my plakat betta, they do fine. I have a sand/gravel substrate and feed them frozen bloodworms as treats with a staple of HBH Frog and Tadpole bites. They love it. :3

When i had just one i kept her in a 2.5 with a betta and nothing bad happened, but i did my water changes often and kept the water and tank obsessively clean.

Each full grown ADF needs 2.5 gallons to itself, so you could have two in a five gallon, but you would only be able to have the frogs in there.

A SINGLE FROG WILL BE FINE IN THE FIVE GALLON.

The only reason we say they are social is because they are more entertaining to watch when there are more than one. Thats all.
Thanks for that:)
I really would love to have one but I would have to change my marbles to gravel. :(
Old 05-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #14 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyk View Post
Thanks for that:)
I really would love to have one but I would have to change my marbles to gravel. :(
You dont need to worry about that, my LFS keeps marbles in the bottom of their ADF tank, and i am in there all the time, i see the frogs wedged under the marbles and then swim out when they need air.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #15 
FuulieQ

I wouldn't use marbles. They trap lots of debris underneath, although they are easier to clean... additionally if you ever want live plants having large marbles will limit you to rhizome plants and certain mosses.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #16 
babyk

i know everyone loves live plants on here...but i honestly dont. I like the ones I have. They have never hurt my boys and they are nice and soft:)

But as for the marbles I may get one then and see how it goes. If the marbles bother him I will move him or her into their own tank and maybe get a friend;):)
Old 05-22-2011, 01:46 AM   #17 
FuulieQ

That might be good. :) Some bettas don't get along well with frogs, so it's pretty much necessary to have a backup plan in case your fish decides he doesn't like big brown things paddling about in his tank.

I initially planned to move Robert into my frog tank (bigger than his 5gal, thought he might like it) but it turned out that he hated the frogs, so back into the 5gal he went.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #18 
babyk

Thanks:) Ill have to go get a 2 gallon first just in case...and Apollo decides the froggy can stay my little brothers betta can get the 2 gallon instead!
Old 05-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #19 
ollief9

The linked website previously posted states that you should allow 1 gallon per frog. Therefore, surely a 5 gallon is fine for a couple?
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #20 
FuulieQ

Well, people's opinions on how to care for ADFs are as divergent as people's opinions on how to care for bettas. It's like, does anyone on here advocate keeping bettas permanently in one gallon tanks? Not too many, and only if you're constantly changing the water. But I'll bet you could find a dozen sites that say .5gal, replace water when water evaporates. :P

Personally, I think 2.5 gallons would be the minimum for a frog. Maybe they're too dumb to be stressed by confinement, but still... it's just better.