Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #1 
PitGurl

SBD only when eating...

My CT female Damsel has developed SBD but it only effects her after she eats, every time she eats. It will last an hour or two then go away. It doesn't seem to matter what I feed her either. She gets 2 bio-gold pellets cut in half, one am & one pm. Then twice a week she gets a couple small frozen blood worms. She doesn't get any freeze dried foods. I've never had a betta where the SBD just comes and goes so often. Any ideas?

Last edited by PitGurl; 05-19-2011 at 11:17 AM.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #2 
iheartmybettas

Do you soak them first? I have heard that this will help if you soak them in tank water before feeding.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #3 
roadrunner

I don't think it's SBD, it's just bloating but it can lead to SBD. I had that with one of my bettas. I switched the food and start feeding smaller amounts morning and night, so it got better. There are lots of types of food you can choose from. There is a thread here about what people feed their bettas, so you can get some ideas. I also fast my bettas one day a week.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

When you say SBD....do you mean she is having buoyancy problems after she eats or is her tummy full looking after a meal....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #5 
PitGurl

She has buoyancy problems. She can't sink, she just floats right back to the top and kind of sits sideways in the water. This morning I gave her a pellet and within 10 mins of eating she couldn't swim downwards. I left the house for a couple hours and now she is fine. Maybe she has a defect or something.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I would change brands of food and see if that helps...sometimes it is the food, sometimes they can also be taking in too much air when eating and as you posted it could be a deformity of some type as well......at least is resolves on its own......

What is your water change schedule....sometimes it can be related to poor water quality, water temp...etc.....and even too cool/dry air above the water and its more a labyrinth organ issue...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #7 
Nippyfish

Hmm. That is strange. One BioGold Pellet cut in half is hardly more than dust. (Not even sure how you'd cut a BioGold pellet in half. LOL) I suppose if it were me, I might try feeding her something with a higher moisture content (something live or frozen predominately) to see if the same reaction occurs. Pellets have very little moisture compared to what they would eat normally. - just a thought.
Nippyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #8 
PitGurl

I cut them up with scissors. Not an easy job, half of them go shooting around my room. It happens with frozen food too. I've been trying to get a batch of mosquito larve going but no luck yet. I've had a bucket of water sitting outside for almost a month and nothing. How hard is it to get mosquitos?!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #9 
Punki

About the mosquito larvae, i put a big 5 gallon bucket next to my porch near a light outside and directly in the sun 3/4 of the day and i got thousands of larvae in aout 2 weeks. Just today i walked out and saw at least 15 mosquitoes laying more on the surface. I loaded it full of oak leaves though, breaking up some, and sprinkling dirt on the bottom. We have a ton around here, and i live in Florida so the weather is warm and moist. Once the leaves turned the water that orangy brown color they appeared. I wish we had less mosquitoes because its miserable going outside in the evenings but my bettas do love them xD
I hope your girl gets better soon. I spoiled mine on the larvae and now they spit pellets back at me everytime i try. lol
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote