Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #1 
aviahz

Location: I currently live in NC USA. But will soon be driving all over the country with my husband!!
Question What's up with his fin??

I just notice my poor little fishie's fin a few days ago...it doesn't seem to be affecting his eating habits or his mood.*shrugs shoulders* I dunno.

He was living in the aquarium with a bamboo plant and rocks. I changed that all yesterday. He is now in a plain tank with a heater. I noticed the rocks were making his water very dingy so I decided to eliminate them entirely. Also the bamboo plant. Soon I will get those marble like rocks so they will be easier to clean and they won't put anything into his water. I also just run his water through a charcoal water filter. I don't have anything for removing chlorine or testing the water. He has been doing really well until this fin thing happened...I'm not even sure it is a problem.

I will soon be joining my husband in a month to drive long haul and I plan to take my fish with me. Does anyone have experience taking a fish with them in a semi truck or just travelling? Would it be a good idea or should I try and find a new home for him? : (

And after 6 months I still haven't come up with a name for him...I had one three years ago named Delatego...he died from strange convulsions...anyway....

Help with figuring out his fin problem also traveling and possibly a name! If you can't tell I am very new!! : D thanks!! And I hope all the info below will help!!

Housing

What size is your tank? 2-2.5 gallons

What temperature is your tank? 75-80 f

Does your tank have a filter? No

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No

Is your tank heated? Yes

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin flakes

How often do you feed your betta fish? One a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Special aquarium salt

Water Parameters:

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Back fin seems to be all stuck together. It is not torn or discoloured

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Swimming seems a bit of a hassle but he seems the same.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Three days ago.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No treating yet.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No....this is the only thing he has ever had a problem with.

How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him for 6 months

Pictures!!

By the way...these pictures were taken using an hdr setting on my phone so you can see it better...it makes pictures crisper...also if the pictures don't show up please let me know and I'll give you a direct link!!

Tank::

Fishie::

aviahz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta isn't well....

Clamped fins and being lethargic is usually a sign of poor water quality and/or some type of toxic substance in the water.....if you are on city water supply you need to do more for the water than running it through a charcoal filter.....a dechlorinator is needed and more water changes are needed as well in a 2-2.5gal unfiltered tank..that being 1-50% and 1-100% a week

Right now I would start with 50% water changes for 2 days using a dechlorinator with like temp water on the refill and see if that will perk him up and to get the salt out....long term salt is not needed....its great for treatment with used for the right reason, dosage, duration......

To travel with a Betta-I would find a bottled water that can be found in every state you are going to, dechlorinator and mineral replacement for the water changes....having the same water for water changes is really important, bottled water can lack the needed mineral so that need to be replaced with an additive and a good dechlorinator like Prime....

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #3 
aviahz

Location: I currently live in NC USA. But will soon be driving all over the country with my husband!!
Thanks!! I'll see about getting a dechlorinator today and stop using the salt regularly...I am guessing it is for just special things like if he gets sick...not for long term use.
aviahz is offline   Reply With Quote